Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
If you have only one Admin account in Vista and have forgotten the password for the same and dont want to reinstall the operating system and land up loosing all your data, this tip is for you.
1) Restart the PC with the Vista Boot Disc.
2) Select Repair Your Computer option
3) Select the Command Prompt
Or - If you dont have a Vista Boot Disc then boot your PC to DOS using any Dos boot disk or other O/s disc.
4) goto "C:\"
5) Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 ( cd c:\windows\system32)
6) Now we will rename the utility manager to cmd.
Type the following commands,
- ren cmd.exe cmdold.exe
- ren utilman.exe cmd.exe
7) we have renamed it successfully.
8) Restart the PC without the disc, reach the screen where you are asked for you password.
9) You will see a white blue icon on bottom left.
10) Click on the icon and CMD will open up, type the following command in CMD.
- net user administrator /active
11) Restart the PC, and you will find you have one more administrator account
12) logon with the new account, goto user accounts and remove the password for your old account.
13) restart the PC with the Disc again, and goto the command prompt as we did in the step 1-3.
14) type the following command,
- cd c:\windows\system32
- ren cmd.exe utilman.exe
- ren cmdold.exe cmd.exe
15) restart the PC, and logon to your own account, open CMD by going from start menu.
16) type the following and restart the PC.
- net user administrator /active:no
17) restart the PC and now you only have one account and thats your own account.
Posted by Shrey... on
Aug 13, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Jul 12, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Jun 24, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Mar 20, 2010 | HP Computers & Internet
234 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!