Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
So, you got a new wifi router and you can get online wirelessly, but you worry about your upstairs neighbor or the guy in the other building hopping onto your high-dollar internet connection and surfing who-knows-where without paying you a nickel. Here is how you put the brakes on that.
1. you must hard wire at least one of your computers into PORT 1 on the router. Login to that router (contact mfr for login details).
2. once logged in, select "Wireless security" (it might be called something slightly different, but essentially, it is the place where you activate a security key for the wifi signal).
3. Choose the style of encryption that you feel is best. A good general encryption is 64 bit WEP (13 digit Hexidecimal) setting. This setting works with wireless B and higher. If you are ONLY going to use wireless G, then 128 bit (26 digit hex) is stronger. You can also choose WPA, but I seem to have better luck with WEP.
4. you will be asked to choose a passphrase or keyword. something like "scoobydoo" or "goldilocks" or something familiar, like your first car "Oldsmobile" or "Cutlass" or the name of your long lost love, first born childs middle name. Any of those, but PLEASE remember it! this password will become encrypted into a 13 or 26 digit HEX key. Also, it may or may NOT matter, but in case it DOES matter, use all lower case letters when creating the phrase. Do NoT mIx ThEm lIkE tHis, or add !?><@& or any other special characters to it. make it a word that has meaning to you.
5. WRITE DOWN THE WORD and keep it in a wallet or safe place. The key will be generated. you can COPY and PASTE the key in a text (notepad) file along with the passphrase/keyword and save it in your main pc's my documents folder, or print it out and keep in your wallet/purse.
6. you will now APPLY this key and all your wifi computers will drop offline. Go to each one and input the keyphrase or the hexidecimal code (whichever it asks you for) and they will rejoin your wifi. If you want your friends to party at your place, they will need that wireless key as well.
7 Dont panic. if you mess up, press the RESET button on the router, and repeat.
Posted by Fred McCoy on
Sep 08, 2013 | D-Link Dlink DI-514 Air Wireless 2.4 GHz...
Jun 09, 2013 | Computers & Internet
Nov 11, 2008 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
May 31, 2008 | RCA Cable Modem DCM315R (11603540)
136 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!