Tip & How-To about Computers & Internet
Although FixYa is pretty straight-forward and easy to use, here's a few helpful hints to make sure you're getting all the FixYa value for your effort.
1. Be sure to categorize your question in the right area.
When we FixYa experts log in to start helping to answer questions, we'll get a list of current questions that are listed in the Categories that we've selected from a long list. We only get questions on our homepage that deal with the categories we've selected. So if you've put a question about a coffee maker online and you've unknowingly placed that question in the cars category, chances are that the coffee maker expert won't see your question. The best way to properly categorize your question is to use the
"Browse by Brand" window. This will allow you to narrow it down to the exact or closest to location to make sure your question will get answered by and expert that really knows how to help you.
2. Give as much information about your product and symptoms as you can.
For example, if you're posting a car question: Give us make, model, engine size, type of trans, mileage,etc.. All this can come into play for us to give a more effective answer. For appliances: Give us make, model, fuel type, and describe the symptoms as best you can... "Won't run" is pretty vague... give us a few details..
3. Before you send your question, re-read it to make sure it makes sense, won't be misunderstood. A good rule of thumb is to read it out loud and listen to yourself. It only takes a minute and can help us help you better, faster, and more accurately. And there's no need to use foul language. You can let us know you're frustrated, but you're more likely to get an Expert to choose your question if you keep it clean.
4. Check your email fairly frequently for FixYa comments.
5. Post your solutions as comments to your question. Once your problem is solved, stop back by and post the solution as a comment on your question. This helps us to know that you've got the solution, but it also helps those who are searching for similar solutions through the FixYa website! Let your solutions help others as well!
6.Remember that all us experts, and gurus are human, we're trying to help and we're definitely not perfect and can use encouragement from those we've helped. We always appreciate getting reports back from those we've helped, to hear of FixYa victories. So if you can take the time to stop back by and drop us a followup... it's always appreciated.
Posted by KEN... on
Aug 01, 2012 | New Home L-372 Mechanical Sewing Machine
Mar 03, 2011 | Dryers
Aug 08, 2010 | 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Aug 11, 2009 | Garden
May 28, 2009 | 2007 Yamaha V Star Custom
159 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!