Tip & How-To about Kenmore Elite HE4 Electric Dryer
This advice is for dryer belt replacement on most Kenmore Elite and Whirlpool Duet model dryers. If in doubt, please provide me with a complete model number of your dryer and I will determine if these instructions apply.
In order to replace the drive belt on a Whirlpool Duet/Kenmore Elite dryers, you need to perform the following steps:
1. UNPLUG the dryer before servicing. Dangerous voltage is still present inside the dryer even when it is turned off.
2. Open the door and remove the lint screen. IMPORTANT: You will not be able to remove the air blower cover with the lint screen in place.
3. Remove the lower toe panel located directly below the door by loosening the screws under the bottom front edge. With the screws removed, the panel will drop down, then come off.
NOTE: Propping the two front feet of the dryer up can provide better access to the screws (a 2x4 works well).
4. Disconnect the auto dry sensor plug (usually yellow wires with a white plug to the right of the blower assembly) and any ground wires that may be connected to the front panel.
5. Remove the air blower cover by locating and removing the mounting screws.
NOTE: This is a good time to clean the blower fan housing, squirrel cage motor and dryer interior cabinet.
6. Remove the top panel of the dryer by locating and removing the screws holding the panel in place in the rear of the dryer. With the screws removed, the panel will slide back, then come off.
7. Locate the two screws that hold the operator console in place. There should be one on each side under the top panel. Remove the screws and carefully lift the panel straight up.
NOTE: You do not need to disconnect the ribbon cables. Carefully lay the console across the top of the dryer out of the way.
8. Disconnect the door switch connector plug and remove the dryer front panel by locating the four screws that hold it in place. Loosen the two screws along the bottom of the panel and leave in place. Remove the top two screws and lift up and turn the whole front panel slightly counter-clockwise to release the drum supports from the dryer drum.
NOTE: Make sure the dryer door is closed when removing the front panel to avoid damaging the door hinges.
9. You can leave the drum in place to install the new belt. Loop the belt onto the dryer drum with the ribbed side facing the drum. Reach in behind the air blower with both hands and pull the idler pulley to the right with your right hand to release the tension. With your left hand loop the belt over the drive motor pulley, then release the idler pulley making sure the belt rests on the pulley. You should feel the belt tighten with tension.
NOTE: If you need further clarification on how to properly route the dryer belt you can go to repairclinic.com and click on the "Repair Help" link at the top of the page. On the following page, locate the "Dryer Belt Diagrams" link under the Special Features section. Refer to diagram K.
10. Reinstall the front panel by turning it slightly counter-clockwise and aligning the front drum supports under the front of the drum. Once the supports are under the drum, turn the front panel clockwise and lift up, placing it on the bottom two screws. Reinstall and tighten the top two screws.
11. Reinstall the door switch connector plug and reinstall the operator console. Use caution not to put too much stress on the ribbon cables.
12. Reinstall dryer top panel.
13. Reinstall air blower cover and reconnect the auto dry sensor and ground wire.
14. Reinstall toe panel by inserting the top portion first and pushing up. Push lower portion of the panel in place and reinstall screws.
I know this may seem like a lot, but its actually fairly simple if you follow the steps provided. The trickiest part will be getting the dryer belt installed correctly and removing and reinstalling the front panel. If you have any questions, please let me know. I hope this helps you.
Posted by Jeff... on
Jan 30, 2016 | Dryers
Sep 30, 2009 | Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P Front Load Washer
May 28, 2015 | Whirlpool GEW9250 Electric Dryer
Jun 27, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
7,634 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!