Tip & How-To about Nokia 9500 Communicator
Tutorial for connecting ur Nokia N95 to internet through WIFI [No Wireless Router]
Finally after 4 hours of searching and trying I was able to hook my Nokia N95 to my laptop without router and browse internet on my mobile.
I tried using my laptop’s Wi-Fi Card as router or connection point between my pc and my phone.
This connection is known as “ad-hoc” connection. Ad hoc wireless networks work more like walkie-talkies, because the computers communicate directly with each other. By enabling Internet Connection Sharing on one of the computers, you can share Internet access.
To see the difference between ad-hoc and router check the picture
Now lets see what do we need:
1. We need a Wi-Fi card on the computer
2. Internet connection that doesn’t use your Wi-Fi card (example Like mine: Cable-modem connected to my laptop through LAN).
Now Let’s Setup our Wi-Fi card as router:
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Network and Internet Connections.
3. Right-click your wireless network connection, and then click Properties.
4. In the Wireless Network Connection Properties dialog box, click the Wireless Networks tab.
5. Next, click the Advanced tab at the top of the window. Select Computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only and clear the Automatically connect to non-preferred networks box if it is selected. This setting, along with removing preferred networks, ensures connection to the ad hoc network only.
6. Click the Wireless Networks tab again. Under Preferred Networks, click Add,
7. In the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, specify a Network name (SSID). I chose (My Nokia N95).
8. Unclear the box “ the key is provided for me automatically”.
9. Type your Network key password and confirm it in the second Network key conformation box( your password has to be 5 characters or 13 characters ), Press Ok.
10. After configuring the network name (SSID) in the Wireless Network Properties dialog box, the new ad hoc network will be displayed with a PC Card icon to designate that this is a computer-to-computer network. Press also Ok.
11. Right-click the Wireless Network icon in the lower right corner of your screen, and then click View Available Wireless Networks..
12 . The Wireless Network Connection window appears and displays your wireless network listed with the SSID you chose( My Nokia N95). If you don't see your network, click Refresh Network List in the upper left corner. Do not click Connect in the lower right corner.
Now we have to share the internet:
14. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
15. Click Network and Internet Connections.
16. Since I have a cable modem and it connected to my laptop through LAN so must share its connection with My Wi-FI card. Right-click the Local Area Connection and press properties.
17. Now you are in Local Area Connection Properties choose tab Advanced.
18 . select the Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box.
Now On Your Nokia N95 Phone (I have v20 Firmware) :
19 . Go to Menu>Tool> click on WLAN Wiz. Your Network name should appear ( in the example its “My Nokia N95”).
20. Select Option > Start Brwosing.
21. Now it should ask you for the Network key password you entered in step 9 and Press OK.
22. Now it opened the web so I chose Nokia Nseies web site ans start browse it.
23. While it connecting to” My Nokia N95” you should see that your phone Network status will appear Connected on your computer.
24. Wait for 30 Second and it will Open.
Note Important : you should turn you firewall off because it will block the connection and after you succeed connecting N95 to internet try configure your firewall so it will allow internet accesing.
Posted by Venky iyer on
Jan 10, 2010 | Cnet CWR-854 Router
Sep 29, 2009 | Belkin (F5D8231-4) Wireless Router...
Jun 25, 2008 | Nokia N95 Cellular Phone
Apr 17, 2008 | ASUS WIFI-B Network Adapter
1,767 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!