Tip & How-To about Miscellaneous
Clearing the NVRAM
When replacing the controller board for a model in which the HDD encryption unit has been
installed and a customer has lost the encryption key, clearing the NVRAM is required to
recover the HDD encryption unit.
1. Prepare an SD card which is initialized.
2. Make the "restore_key" folder in the SD card.
3. Make an "nvram_key.txt" file in the "restore_key" folder in the SD card.
4. Input "nvclear" into the "nvram_key.txt" file.
5. Turn on the main power switch.
6. Confirm that the prompt on the LCD tells you to install the SD card (storing the
encryption key) in the machine.
7. Turn off the main power switch.
8. Insert the SD card that contains "nvclear" into slot 1.
9. Turn on the main power switch, and the machine automatically restores the encryption
key in the flash memory on the controller board.
10. Turn off the main power switch after the machine has returned to normal status.
11. Remove the SD card from slot 1.
12. Turn on the main power switch.
13. Initialize the NVRAM (SP5801-001) and HDD unit (SP5832-001) with SP mode.
14. The user must enable the HDD encryption unit with a user tool.
Posted by Yasirrisay on
Jul 01, 2014 | Lexmark E450dn Laser Printer
Oct 29, 2008 | Ricoh Office Equipment & Supplies
Nov 22, 2013 | Xerox Phaser 7300DN Laser Printer
Feb 25, 2013 | Toshiba e-STUDIO 282 Black and White...
117 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!