Tip & How-To about HP Officejet 5610 All-In-One InkJet Printer
For those who have not yet tried to refill their own cartridges, you are really missing the boat on big savings.
Remember, printer companies make very little money from their hardware sale... they make TONES of money from their repeat cartridge sales.
That is why they want the empty ones back... they say "to protect the environment and recycle". I don't doubt that but they are really after recycling the perfectly good cartridge and your money while protecting the environment falls at a somewhat lower priority. You will note that the cartridges are not all that large (ink volume) wonder why that is :-) ???
Although the cartridge may be used up, it is good for many, many, many more reloads if properly maintained. I have successfully refilled my black cartridge eight times and the color five times and both are still going strong and have perfect printing quality!
You can purchase ink refill kits from eBay... try a search for "inkjet refill kit for HP". You will probably find several kits available but I got mine from the eBay store owned by Distribution-Online. I have no connection with this reseller other than I use their products and the prices seemed fair. They include detailed instructions so getting started is easy (you need an electric drill, a small drill bit and some scotch tape). Last check, the black ink was about $9 and the color set was $16.
Hints for the HP5610:
1. Refilling the cartridges will not get rid of the low ink message. If you see this, simply press the "ok" button to erase it.
2. You will need to watch your print quality to tell when they need to be refilled. (I.E. faded blacks or wrong colors)
3. Refill your cartridges immediately if you see one is empty. Not doing so may cause it to dry out internally which is a cartridge killer.
4. When filling the cartridges, fill them slowely so the ink is absorbed by the internal "sponges". Overfilling is possible (go slow) but does no damage. You will soon get a feel as to what colors are used up the most. Black goes quickly followed by Cyan with Yellow and Magenta after that.
5. After you fill, clean the underside of the cartridge ( print head that contacts the paper) with high quality alcohol each time you fill, blow it dry.
6. After you fill, clean the connection points on the back of the cartridge (copper contacts) with high quality alcohol each time you fill, blow dry.
Each time I refill, I smile and say to HP (and all the other print cartridge manuactures), I am just doing it... "to protect the environment and recycle"
Good luck and give it a try! -Dan
Posted by deschilz on
Feb 27, 2015 | Conair Instant Heat Curling Iron, Model...
Oct 20, 2008 | Computers & Internet
Apr 11, 2008 | Canon PIXMA MP160 All-In-One InkJet...
Mar 27, 2008 | Lexmark Z1300 InkJet Photo Printer
Feb 13, 2008 | Lexmark X4270 All-In-One InkJet Printer
3,011 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!