Many homes have alarm security system installed, even though the current tenants may not have been the ones who paid for it. Some did pay for it but just can't afford the high monthly cost of alarm monitoring. Many people don't realize that once the alarm security system is installed only the monthly monitoring fee stands in the way of free home security. The alarm system still works without monitoring, and it is easy to configure on your own.
- Install the dial capable motion detectors in place of the entryway motion detectors. The mounting directions and hardware will be included in the motion detectors' packaging. Often the old motion detector's hardware will mount the new one.
- Connect phone lines to the new motion detectors as instructed by the manufacturer. Usually the lines connect from the new motion detectors to a phone or third-party dialer.
- Program the dialer or the dial-capable motion detectors to dial the phones of your choice. Your cell phone is usually the most important phone number to program into the dialer to alert you quickly if there is an intruder.
- Arm the alarm as you normally would. If there is an intruder, the new motion detectors will sense the movement and will dial your phone to alert you.
Tips & Warnings
- Consider replacing the motion detectors that cover the windows and alternate entry and exit points, especially if you have a large home or one with several different entry doors.
- If the dialer-enabled motion detector is capable, program a second and third phone number into the dialer to maximize effectiveness. Dialing your cell and your neighbor's home phone, for example, would be more effective when you are away from the area.