1. Go online and point your browser to your Gmail account. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Click on the "Settings" button found near the top of any page of your Gmail account.
3. View the tabs in your settings and choose the "Accounts" tab. Click on this tab.
4. Look over the choices. Choose "Google Account Settings" which is fourth on the list of choices.
5. See a pop-up box. The left-hand side will say "Personal Information" and the right-hand side will say "My Services." Next to "My Services," is an "Edit" button, and this is the button to click on now.
6."Delete a Service" and "Close Account" are the two options on this page. If you just want to delete Gmail, choose "Delete Gmail Service." Answer the questions on the next page and delete your Gmail account.
7. Choose "Close Account" if you want to delete both Gmail and the rest of your Google account. Both options will delete your Gmail account, but if you choose "Delete Gmail Service," this option will only delete your Gmail account.
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/how_2239105_delete-gmail-account.html#ixzz2pDLJyWQ0