Tip & How-To about Minolta QMS 2200DL Laser Printer
There has been a persistent problem cropping up on internet search engines for this error code coming up with the printer. However there has been so CLEAR idea how to sort it out. There have been clues but no directions. I look after 3 of these printers and have a couple of spares from eBay and it has cropped up on 3 of them so I needed to find an answer.
I finally managed to find a technicians repair manual on lien and this pointed me in the right direction although not entirely clear in all the procedures but I think I have it sorted out.
First of all what is the cause? there are 2 solenoids (electro magnet switches) that have an arm that stops or allows rotary movement to a clutch that control the foam roller and related parts in the drop down paper handling part on the right side. In earlier models these have (or had) a small piece of poor quality foam rubber to dampen the arm of the solenoid when the magnet is activated. The problem is that the foam rots but the glue holding it on each parts doesn't. Result the arm comes down and get stuck down by the remaining glue. Even if only for a second or so it is enough for the arm to miss stopping the rotating plastic clutch for the foam roller and it and other parts end up in the wrong position and it throws up the error.
Having found where these are and cleaned the muck and re-assembled so far the tests have been positive and no more error. X14.
So how to do it. One suggested answer on a Google search suggested the solenoids were deep inside,. There are 2 that are a bit awkward to get at but the 2 that appear to be causing the problem are in fact fairly easy to get at and sort out so here goes....
1) Open drop down paper handling door using the big push up button on the left. This should expose the paper handling mechanism. Look at the white parts on the left hand side. There is a white wheel with a flat side. The flat side should be parallel with the outside edge of the paper door. If error X14 has shown it will be the wrong way round or facing the top edge of the door.
2) On the right hand side look for the black plastic covering for the gear wheels etc. There is only one screw (but 4 lugs) fixing this. remove screw and carefully remove by lifting the end up and outwards. The inner end will be tucked around the cable loom.
3) The 2 solenoids should be visible. Note how they are put in as they are fitted in opposite ways. Look at the arm and the stop bracket on each one. You should see no foam rubber but just the sticky mucky glue part on both sides. Thoroughly clean off using a Q tip and a cleaning solvent. It might be easier to unscrew the solenoids. The top one is easy to get off and back in but the bottom one is a bit fiddly so note how the arm is inserted. (Might help to take a close up photo before starting)
4) Once cleaned if you have some thin foam rubber, carefully cut to size and glue only on teh stop pad. I have tried it without replacing the foam on the stop arm and so far it seems to be working OK but it might be best to put a thin pad on.
5) Do this to both of the solenoids. replace if they have been taken out. ensuring they are seated corrected and the arm is in the correct position.
6) Carefully replace the back plastic cover. Start by inserted the narrow end in and round the cable room at the door joint. This is a bit tricky but be patient! Then get the bottoms in the correct place and especially the one lug at at back end. This fits in between a metal slot. I found I have to bend the back end of the cover slightly to get it to seat correctly. IMPORTANT. Make sure the plastic cover is seated snugly and flat. You should be able to screw it up without much bending. Gently close the door. DONT push hard. If it appears to scrape a bit immediately get the door back and re-seat the plastic cover. Its easy to not get it seated quite right and it bulges out a bit. If you then close the door right it, it will jam. Dont panic if this happens. It needs carefully prising out but better to get it right in the first place.
This should cure the problem and remove the annoying problem and get the printer up and going again.
Later printers had just a single, better quality tan coloured pad attached to just the stop arm of the solenoid. these seem to be longer lasting. It is earlier ones that had poor quality black coloured foam rubber attached to the arm and stop arm that appear to give the trouble.
Hopefully I'll get a video done to explain it more clearly but to the remaining magicolor 2200 owners out there who have this problem and like me almost gave up - this should solve the problem.
Posted by Robyn-G on
Sep 03, 2015 | Canon PIXMA MP530 All-In-One InkJet...
Jan 22, 2015 | Sharp MX-M264N Copier: MX264N : M264N
Jul 13, 2012 | Lenovo ThickCentre M58p Desktop 7479A3U
Jun 08, 2009 | HP LaserJet P2015dn Printer
1,646 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!