Tip & How-To about Kitchen Appliances - Others
Food dehydration is a very long standing way of preserving food. In modern times, food dehydration machines have been developed, allowing people to dehydrate their food at home.
Dehydrators work by removing the moisture from food thus allowing them to last for much longer.
Because the water is removed at a very low temperature, the nutrients and enzymens of the food are not destroyed and that's why dehydrated food is seen as part of the healthy food movement.
How do you use a food dehydrator?
1. Wash and dry the foods you want to dehydrate
2. Arrange the slices on trays. Try and avoid overlapping.
3. Set the temperature using the guide. Generally the lower the temperature the greater the preservation of vitamins and nutrients.
4. Keep an eye on the trays, turning them in the dehydrator.
5. It can take anything from a couple of hours up to a day to dehydrate food, depending on the moisture levels.
6. When the food is ready store it in airtight plastic bags or containers.
Enjoy experimenting with your food dehydrator. It's fun for kids as well and is a great way of preserving fruit and vegetables when you've overbought or can see food would otherwise go to waste.
Posted by xenaj on
Oct 03, 2016 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Aug 12, 2013 | Kitchen Appliances - Others
Jul 15, 2013 | Cooking
823 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!