Tip & How-To about GE JVM1850SMSS Microwave Oven
If you have this model microwave and it was working fine, then one day it stopped heating items placed inside there are a handful of different issues that could be the problem. In my case it was intermittent, over a period of a few days it would sometimes work (heat) and sometimes not. NO MATTER if this is what your's is doing or if it stopped heating all together. If you decide to let it dry out, or not use it for a while to see if it was a one time occurrence, or whatever the reason, the first time you put something in and probably for the next 10 times at least (this assumes it starts to work again), make sure you are right there with it while it is cooking. Don't assume you can put something in, go do something and come back when the timer is beeping. There is a chance (as this happened to me) that your food inside will CATCH FIRE! Normal food item placed inside, no metal, nothing different than the numerous times before when this had been cooked but when we smelled smoke we came running. Fortunately it started and finished inside the microwave but that's not a guarantee, it could spread. Play it safe. Never had a problem like this before and never heard of a microwave cooking something until it caught on fire (especially since the time entered for the cook was 30 seconds) but it did.
Posted by Marc S. on
Feb 22, 2017 | Magic Chef Microwave Ovens
Seems this is only a coincidence and there is no possibility that items on top of the microwave could have caused this malfunctioning.
Make sure that the program controller is working if not check
power - step down supply, the pads are responding- if not faulty pads- or the
door switches, if the switch contact are not good then it will not trigger the
processor to switch on the waveguides. If the lights or fan work without any
display or action of program being triggered to start then it can be a possible
fault on the main board or the processor. Sometimes insect secretion can short
the board and display panel and so the processor can work in such an erratic
manner. If so clean, solder and reset the board. Now identify the parts by
clicking this link: http://www.espares.co.uk/advice/microwave/a/5/141/identifying-microwave-parts.html
If there is no heating
please do not switch on unless you have confirmed the fault. It is possible
that the Magnetron is faulty, the temperature cut off is faulty or the main
capacitor is short. It is also quite possible that insect can get into the oven
and create soft spots. When you switch on these will create a short and make
the voltage jump and in the long run damage the magnetron. Check this link to
know how a microwave works:
So Remove cover after disconnecting , check for dirt/moisture in
the cabin, if so wipe clean and dry, check the magnetron and area clean and use
an jet air to clean off. Check the wave guide covers, if food had deposited
then it must be checked or replaced. See link: http://www.espares.co.uk/advice/microwave/a/5/1146/how-to-replace-a-microwave-guide-cover.html
Now keeping clear of the microwave, switch on; use a cup of water
inside to test.
If you notice any sparks shut off as the magnetron or the main HT capacitor can be faulty. replace with same type.
If there is heating without any issues, you can use the microwave safely
Jan 21, 2013 | Hamilton Beach Microwave Ovens
Nov 22, 2012 | DCS MO-24-SS Microwave Oven
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Basic Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips
Feb 08, 2011 | Kenmore 63252 Microwave Oven
Jan 11, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
4,889 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!