Tip & How-To about Microwave Ovens

Don't mess with the electrical circuitry in a microwave if you are not an expert

There are some things you can fix in your microwave oven, but it is dangerous to poke around inside the electrical circuitry even when it is unplugged! This is because there is a circuit inside which can hold a very high voltage for several hours, enough to kill you if you are well grounded.

So, for most repairs, please take it to a competent service tech unless you are very sure what you are touching.

Posted by on

Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

Related Questions:

1 Answer

do the microwaves have fuses inside


Yes microwave ovens will have fuses, please use extreme caution in dealing with Microwave ovens as they are one of the most dangerous appliances to open due to the high current circuitry contained inside.

Dec 26, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Where is the diode located on a whirlpool microwave


It is usually located right next to the high-voltage capacitor. BE CAREFUL! YOU ARE TREADING IN VERY DANGEROUS TERRITORY! MAKE SURE THE MICROWAVE OVEN IS UNPLUGGED AND WAIT 5 OR MORE MINUTES BEFORE YOU GO POKING AROUND IN THERE. Note: In some older microwave ovens, those with a vertically-mounted squirrel-cage cooling fan, the HV diode was located inside the fan housing.

Oct 19, 2014 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

microwave keeps running with door open


I'd say the door interlock switch has failed, and supplies a connection when it should not. Microwave ovens can be dangerous to anyone poking around inside, even when unplugged, so get a quote from a service tech. You might find that parts+labour is almost as much as a new one.

Microwave radiation being released through an open door is also a hazard, as it is known to cause eye cataracts, so don't get near if the oven does this.

Nov 19, 2013 | Panasonic Inverter Countertop Microwave

1 Answer

My microwave do not heat the food but it work please answer me


Probably either
- the high voltage capacitor has failed
- the magnetron itself has failed
- the high capacity fuse in line to the above 2 items has blown

Microwaves can be very dangerous if you poke around inside, even when unplugged. Take it to a service tech and get a rough quote, which could approach $150 for parts and labour. It may be cheaper to buy another.

Nov 07, 2013 | Daewoo KOR6N9RR Microwave Oven

5 Answers

Microwave not works


WARNING: Microwave ovens are the most dangerous consumer appliance to service due to up to 5,000 V at high current inside. Even with the power off, there is a HV capacitor that can produce a lethal kick. This capacitor must be discharged before touching anything in the microwave generator circuitry. DON'T remove the cover yourself unless you fully undertand the SAFETY issues involved in working inside a microwave oven. A microwave oven is possibly THE MOST DANGEROUS common consumer product to service. About the only "easy" fix would be a blown fuse, if it keeps blowing, don't go any further unless you know what you are doing. Your likely options are a blown high voltage cap, diode, or the magnetron. Good luck(but luck has nothing to do with it ;] )

Apr 01, 2006 | Sharp R-320H Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?

1,919 people viewed this tip

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

75117 Answers

Cindy Wells

Level 3 Expert

5060 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Loading...