Tip & How-To about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

Repair

Don't repair your own microwave oven. Even when unplugged the capacitor has deadly high voltage charge.

Posted by on

GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

Related Questions:

2 Answers

What can cause a Whirlpool serial number try 2047151 microwave to not heat


Dead magnetron, diode pack or capacitor fault. Door switch etc etc etc

May 14, 2017 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

daewoo microwave does everything except heat?


Possibly the high voltage fuse or the diode pack or capacitors have failed. BE VERY CAREFUL if you are attempting repairs on microwaves. The high voltage side is usually up to 5000 volts. If you are uncertain about electrical repairs on these, DONT attempt it. The high voltages in certain areas of a microwave oven can kill... The machine can store this electricity in its capacitor circuits even when the unit is unplugged.

Aug 26, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

microwave caught fire inside parts compartment.


Most likely causes are a shorted high voltage rectifier or burned-up high voltage transformer. Visual inspection should indicate which one. Be wary of the high voltage capacitor - some keep a charge of 4000 volts, or more, even when unit is unplugged.



Nov 03, 2013 | Emerson MW8778 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

microwave wont run


Yes, if the unit is dead, unplug microwave oven, remove top, follow wires from keypad control board to the circuit board, look for a silver rectangular high voltage capacitor, "sometimes under a plastic flap" dis-charge capacitor across the two points with a screwdriver, there should be a fuse near by that is clipped in, pop it out and replace with the same current rating and assemble before test, "lethal voltages present"

Mar 27, 2012 | Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave...

1 Answer

GE JVM1430 Spacemaker is dead. Completely.


See my microwave oven safety file here.

If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor. How to test a high-voltage capacitor.

If it went dead several seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.

If it goes dead or blows the breaker (or GFI) when you plug it in or open or close the door, then there's a problem with a door switch or door switch mount. My door switch help file.

If it's intermittent or random, it may be a bad connection, usually on the control board or a loose fuse holder, or even an intermittent fuse.

If the fuse is easy to twist with your fingertips while it's in the holder, it's too loose.

You should do a continuity test on the fuse while it's in the holder (with the microwave unplugged, of course) then turn the fuse by hand or take it out and put it back in, then test it again.

If you remove the fuse, then press the meter leads against the ends, it can allow internal contact to be made and make a bad fuse appear to be good.

FixYa does not directly notify us experts of responses, so if you have other questions, please contact me directly.

- William E. Miller, AS-EET
pupista@gmail.com
http://www.microwavecontrol.com
Microwave Oven Control Panel Repair Nationwide
"Recycling by repairing since 1982"

May 29, 2017 | GE JVM1430 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?

2,463 people viewed this tip

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Loading...