Tip & How-To about NetGear DG834G Router
Where can I find a manual for my router? Absolute beginners’guide
If you’ve been advised to ‘check your manual’ and you don’t have one, don’t know where to find one, or are not sure what to do when you do - this tip is for you.
Finding a manual:
1. Go to your router manufacturer’s website
2. Look for the tab marked Support and/or Downloads
3. Locate your router model, using any wizards that you see. Check your router label to find its exact model number, and version if needed. The website will tell you where to find the version number.
4. When you reach the correct support page, find the available downloads or documentation. These should include the User Manual or Reference Manual (usually in PDF format).
The manual is not the same as the Setup Guide or Quick Installation Guide, which are smaller files (though you can download those too if required).
Tip: The support page may also contain tips and useful troubleshooting advice – why not take a look while you’re there.
5. So, you've found the link to your manual. If this is your first PDF download - be aware that just clicking a PDF link can freeze your browser. Instead, right click the link, select ‘Save Target as…’, then save the PDF with a name, and in a place, where you can find it again.
6. You will need a PDF reader – latest version available free from Adobe.
Tip: Most router manuals contain more information than is useful for the average home user. No need to print it, or read every word, unless you want to – use the PDF search facility to find key terms such as 192, password, WPA etc, or click any links you see in the contents page.
If you still don’t find what you need - post on Fixya. You will now be much better placed to find a helpful answer to your problem.
Hope this tip helps you. Thanks for reading!
All information is offered as is, without warranty: if you choose to use it, it is completely at your own risk. Links and information current at time of writing. Words by ‘eecom’, Jan 2009.
Posted by eecom on
Jun 18, 2011 | D-Link Xtreme N DIR-655 Wireless Router
Aug 07, 2008 | Corel WordPerfect Office 11 Upgrade...
Jun 21, 2008 | Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
1,765 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!