Tip & How-To about Pets - Others
If your puppy doesn't have a way to easily get out of the house, you will need to train her to ask to be let out to go to the toilet. It's best to do this when your puppy is young and easy to train. Once dogs get into bad habits they can be hard to change and you might find yourself cleaning up 'accidents' all over the house.
1. The best idea is to buy a dog bell/ poochie bell. You can attach this to string which you should hang from your back door so that it hangs at your dog's nose level.
2. Every time you go to your back door, you should shake the bell and say out loud 'go potty time' and then take your puppy outside to the toilet.
3. If you keep doing this, your puppy should start to make the association between the bells and going to the toilet.
4. After a week or so of doing the above steps, you can say 'go potty' but don't ring the bell. Hopefully your dog will touch the bell herself. If she does, give huge amounts of praise and hugs.
5. If she doesn't touch the bell, then gently shake it yourself and repeat the phrase 'go potty time'.
6. It might take a while - don't give up! Just keep repeating the steps until your dog figures out that if she wants to be let out she needs to ring the bell.
Good Luck and stay positive. Hopefully within a few days you will have a nice clean house and a well-trained puppy.
Posted by arnie on
397 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!