Tip & How-To about Microsoft Outlook Express
When Outlook Express is configured for POP3 mail access it uses a file
called pop3uidl.dbx to keep track of which message have been downloaded
so that it can download only new messages. Sometimes this file becomes corrupted which results
in the same messages getting downloaded again. So we will need a
different copy of this file. Please do the following to recreate it:
- In Outlook Express click on Tools and Options.
- Click on maintenance tab.
- Click on Store folder button.
- It will open a small window with a path to the store folder.
- Copy the whole path.
- Click on start and Run.
- Click inside the run box and press Ctrl+V, it will paste the whole path we copied.
- Click on OK. It will open the store location.
- Close Outlook Express.
- In the folder that was opened, locate the pop3uidl.dbx file and right click on it and select rename.
- Rename that to pop3uidlold.dbx.
- Open Outlook Express and you will no longer receive any duplicate messages.
If you are using IMAP account, that can happen if your IMAP account is the default mail account and OE is configured to both open directly to the Inbox (which downloads headers automatically) and check for new messages when starting (which also downloads headers automatically). To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both:
In Outlook Express click Tools > Options, then
1. Remove the check mark for When starting, go directly to my ‘Inbox’ folder
2. Remove the check mark for Send and receive messages at startup.
If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools > Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.
Posted by Swilin... on
To fix the same messages coming from a POP account again and again:
Since Outlook Express has just lost even the rest memory of which mail it has already seen, expect all mail still on the server to be retrieve the next time you click Send/Recv. After that, mail retrieve should return to normal, however.
All duplicates already received can be eliminated fast with a duplicate removal tool.
Feb 28, 2011 | Microsoft Outlook Express
Sep 02, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Nov 18, 2008 | Computers & Internet
May 31, 2008 | Computers & Internet
1,176 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!