Tip & How-To about VIA Epia M10000 Motherboard
I'm writing this in the hope that others like me can resolv their problem with the dead EPIA-M mainboard.The symptoms where.. on power-up .. it would make 2 high pich beeps followed by 2 low pich beeps..turned out that is the error code for dead BIOS.
OK so u have a dead bios and a mobo that won't boot for various reasons.. from flashing a wrong or corrupted bios or else.
Apart from the other ways to go around the problem like buying a new chip already flashed or flash the chip with a dedicated flasher u can follow on this simple guide.
You should at least have some experience in DIY in computers .
1. Find a mobo of an old pc that uses the same socket for the bios chip.if it uses award bios even better.I used a biostar p4m800-m7a mobo to do this.
No need for it to have a hdd or something special attached to it.. power source and cd or dvd/rom will do.
2. Try to see if it boots, if all ok..
3. Get you hands on the Hiren's boot cd..burn it and boot from cd..it has in the Dos program list... in the next page BIOS/CMOS UTILITIES. Select uniflash 1.4.. i did it with the 1.4 on the hiren's boot cd 10.1 maybe if they update it it will work also.It will tell you the name of the bios chip and some details..make a backup of original chip just in case.
4.On other pc download the 109.BIN file .. the bios file known to be stable for the EPIA-M board. You can find it on some forum.. i can't remember now..I thank them by the way.Same the file on a fat32 usb key.
5.On the surogate board with uniflash started.. comes the tricky part: u have to get hold of some good tools and pull the bios chip out while it's running... don't worry, nothing will happen.
6. Pull out the dead bios chip of EPIA-M and put it in the surogate board.These steps must be done with absolute care.If you think you can't do it, wait or call a friend with more experience or get hold of the right tools
7. Now with the dead bios chip in place.. select in uniflash, rediscover bios chip.. or something like that,..can't remember well.. but you get it when you see the screen... the sst bios of the EPIA-M NOW SHOWS UP...
8. select flash bios and select the file on the root of the usb key by typing C:\109.bin.. if no hdd attached.. the key is seen as C, otherwise use letter accordingly.It flashes the bios in less that 10 seconds.. and says ok.. power off surogate mobo.. replace bios chip with original.. and enjoy now your EPIA-M mainboard again.
If you'd like to thank me or ask details..mail me at email@example.com
Posted by Adrian on
Feb 19, 2013 | VIA P4MA Pro Motherboard
Dec 06, 2012 | VIA Epia M860-12e Fanless Mini-itx...
Nov 02, 2012 | VIA EPIA PD 10000 Motherboard
Feb 28, 2009 | VIA Technology (EPIA-800) C3 processor...
Aug 06, 2008 | VIA EPIA MII12000 (EPIAMII12000CCM01)...
2,820 people viewed this tip
Usually answered in minutes!