You've made a good start in making sure the outlet is working.
The manual can be seen here:
Dyson stowaway DC23 Helpline Manual
The thing I pick up on in particular is your saying that the unit was turning on and off the last time you used it.
Based on a number of repair and troubleshooting forums, it sounds like the unit was overheating, or close to overheating before. There is a thermal-cut-out switch to keep the unit from overheating to the point of damage, or, worse, starting a fire. If the interlock has kicked in, it can take 30 minutes to an hour for the unit to cool enough to reset the switch.
Common things are common, and rare things are rare. With that in mind, the most likely causes of overheating are:
- Blockage somewhere in the vacuum line.
- The brush head being jammed / trying to turn when something is impeding it.
- Clogged filters.
First rule - unplug the vacuum when working on it. After that,
- Remove the various bits of tubing, u-bends, and such, and make sure that they are clear - no paper wads, hair clumps, or such. For long stretches of the tubing, a long bent coat hanger (marshmallow roaster configuration) can be used to gently probe the long stretches.
- Try to rotate the brush - remove any obvious yarn, hair, string, rubber bands, etc, built up on the brush.
- Wash the filters. They are meant to be washed every few months. If they haven't been, they may be so clogged that the motor isn't drawing in enough air to cool itself.
That should give you a good start. If none of this works, there are toll free numbers to talk to Dyson support in the manual.
Good luck, and Happy Holidays!