Question about 2004 Honda VTX 1800
04 vtx 1800C fuel pump clicks but does not have the whining sound when the switch is turned on. starter turns, engine spins but won't start. worked fine until I put the bike on the rack for routine maintenance and oil change also changed starter relay solenoid. could I have crossed wires or is it something else? @
Hi, Weegoo1 the following is a systematic procedure for diagnosing fuel pump issues designed to keep "DRACHMA" to a minimum. If you need parts check with Amazon and eBay first to keep costs down.
1. If your pump does not turn on check the pump fuse and relay and all wiring including connectors for corroded, broken, or loose pins/sockets.
1. Normal fuel pump pressure is 3-5 PSI.
2. Check any rubber or plastic tubing for age-related pinholes by removing and plugging the ends that connect to the fuel valve and then turn on the ignition switch and watch for fuel streams exiting the pinholes, if any exist, replace tubing as necessary.
3. Check for a clogged a primary fuel filter that comes off the bottom of the pump to screen out big rocks and clean as necessary.
4. Check for a clogged secondary fuel filter that's outside if applicable by removing it from the system and replace it with a short splicing tube turn on the ignition switch and recheck fuel pressure if pressure increases to normal pressure you need a new secondary filter.
5. If all the above check out OK and the pump is not functioning properly then you need a new fuel pump.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Another Fuel Pump Not Priming Issue
Can hear fuel pump prime up
Honda VTX1800R Owner Manual service manual, not owners. https://www.partsfish.com/page/oem-parts-for-honda
Honda VTX1800R Owner Manual
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Jan 21, 2018
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Have you checked the fuel filter ? Some are in line others are in the tank petcock. I am Not familiar with that model but it sounds like it's a fuel issue.
Posted on May 06, 2009
If you can hear the starter run, but no motor turning, the starter clutch is going bad. It is what allows the motor to turn over with the starter, and it idles while the bike is running.
Posted on Jun 09, 2009
AGREED, had the same problem; hesitation, skipping, popping at low speeds. Ran good w/ new plugs for short time. tried injector cleaner. No FI codes. Dealer couldn't figure it out after $200! I replaced the $26 fuel pressure regulator and she runs Great!!
Posted on Aug 21, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 01, 2016 | 2005 Honda VTX 1800
Oct 23, 2013 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
Jun 03, 2012 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
May 16, 2012 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
Aug 30, 2011 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
Aug 16, 2011 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
Nov 04, 2010 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
Jul 22, 2010 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
Jul 02, 2009 | 2004 Honda VTX 1800
Jul 09, 2018 | Motorcycles
291 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: