Question about 2002 Suzuki SV 650 S
I have a 2002 SV 650 bought it in January, and it was running. put it in the garage and now it won't start (may). replaced the battery. good crank, good spark. doesn't seem like it is getting fuel? never had this model before....is there a trick or common problem with the fuel? can't even find the fuel shutoff, is there one? not ready to tear into this bike as I know nothing about it yet and do not have a service manual.
Hi, Bwilliams239 and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty.
2. The fuel tank has old dead gas.
3. Fuel tank bottom contaminated with ethanol sludge, dirt, water, rust, etc.
4. Fuel supply valve/petcock turned off.
5. Fouled spark plugs.
6. Engine flooded as a result of overuse of the choke
7. Vacuum hose to the fuel supply valve/petcock disconnected, broken, cracked, or pinched.
8. Fuel valve/petcock or filter clogged.
9. Fuel line to carburetor or throttle body pinched, kinked or blocked.
10. Carburetor float stuck.
11. Fuel injectors clogged.
12. Fuel injectors stuck open.
13. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead acid batteries.
14. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
15. Loose or corroded wire connection at the coil or plug between ignition sensor and ECM module.
16. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting check for spark leakage in the dark, cable connections loose, or connected to the wrong cylinders.
17. Ignition timing incorrect due to a faulty ignition coil, ignition module or MAP, CMP, CKP, O2, TPS, ETP, IAC sensors.
18. Faulty neutral, clutch lever, or kickstand safety switch.
19. Faulty fuel pump or fuse or relay.
20. A stuck bent or burnt valve.
21. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
22. Security system not disarming alarm needs a reset.
23. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
2002 SV650 Wont run
What to do When Your Motorcycle Won Start
Suzuki SV650 Service Manual
OEM parts for Suzuki
Suzuki SV650 Owner Manual
Posted on Jun 30, 2017
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Take the battery out of the bike and hook it to a charger. Make sure it is properly charged and take it to a battery store to have a load test performed. From your description, it sounds like the battery is shot and needs replaced.
Posted on Feb 26, 2009
SOURCE: 2008 DL650 Starting issue.
fix the leaky injector its loosing fukle into the pots locking the engine up when you try to crank it over,,,
be warned,,,,it will bend your con rods or smash the pistons,,,
Posted on Jan 17, 2010
Your petcock needs to be rebuilt (if parts available), or replaced, if it does not shut off the fuel. It also may not be saving reserve fuel , if gas is bypassing the ON position. You may also need a new fuel filter .Maybe add an additional in line filter. If you have replaced the float needles and the carbs are still overflowing you probably have a problem with rust in the tank. Have the inside of the tank cleaned or use a rust removal kit on the tank and see if this does not solve the problem. Try to avoid fuel tank liners if possible , they can cause more problems than they solve.
Posted on Jul 02, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 22, 2012 | 2000 Suzuki SV 650
Mar 28, 2011 | 2002 Suzuki SV 650
Jan 27, 2011 | 2005 Suzuki SV 650
Nov 10, 2010 | 2002 Suzuki SV 650
Apr 14, 2010 | 2001 Suzuki SV 650
Apr 03, 2010 | 2002 Suzuki SV 650
Jul 29, 2009 | 2001 Suzuki SV 650 S
Jul 06, 2009 | 2003 Suzuki SV 650
49 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: