Question about 1983 Benelli 900 Sei
Hi Ericpann, in order to check out any main system electrical circuit, you have to start with a fully charged battery 12.5 volts or better, and be able to pass a load test if necessary.
1. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
2. Check the voltage drop at the battery when you hit the starter button, anything below 9 volts you might have a faulty battery.
3. Check voltage at the battery with the bike running at 3,600 RPM should be 14.3 to 14.7 volts. If you are not getting these numbers, you might have a faulty voltage regulator.
4. Make sure voltage regulator is grounded and functioning properly, watch the video below on how to test a voltage regulator.
5. Unplug the connector to the alternator and hook your multimeter leads to the alternator (pin/socket selection does not matter) set the multimeter to AC volts, at an idle the meter should read 16 to 20 volts AC. at 2,000 RPM 32 to 40 AC volts, 3,000 RPM 48 to 60 AC volts. If you are not getting these numbers, you may have a faulty rotor, follow step 6
6. Set the multimeter to OHM'S, connect one lead to the alternator (any pin/socket) and the other to a ground, the meter should read infinity. Connect both leads to the alternator meter should read 0.1 to 0.2 OHM'S. If you are not getting these numbers, you have a bad stator.
7. Check all wiring in the charging circuit for worn or chaffed spots and all wiring connectors in the circuit for corroded, broken, or loose pins/sockets, which is the # 1 offender.
For more information about your issue please visit the websites below. Good luck and have a nice day.
How to diagnose and repair motorcycle charging problems
Motorcycle Battery Charging System Explained
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Dec 12, 2015
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 13, 2016 | 1993 Chevrolet S-10
Nov 29, 2015 | 1996 Saturn SL
Jun 16, 2014 | Benelli TnT Motorcycles
Jul 18, 2013 | Benelli Velvet 125 Motorcycles
Sep 24, 2012 | 1991 Toyota Corolla
Dec 08, 2011 | 1995 Pontiac Trans Sport
Feb 26, 2010 | 2007 Benelli TnT 1130
Jun 28, 2009 | 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT
May 15, 2009 | 1995 kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja
Aug 03, 2008 | 1990 Cadillac Deville
Jul 22, 2018 | Motorcycles
63 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: