Question about Yamaha Motorcycles
I JUST BOUGHT A YAMAHA XV 750 1982,THE PROBLEM IS EVERY TIME I START IT TOOK 4 TO 5 TIMES BEFORE THE ENGINE WILL START AND SOMETIMES IT WEAKEN THE BATTERY.I ALREADY CLEAN THE CARBURATOR
Hi, Jhongs and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty.
2. The fuel tank has old dead gas.
3. Fuel tank bottom contaminated with ethanol sludge, dirt, water, rust, etc.
4. Fuel supply valve/petcock turned off.
5. Fouled spark plugs.
6. Engine flooded as a result of overuse of the enrichner.
7. Vacuum hose to the fuel supply valve/petcock disconnected, broken, cracked, or pinched.
8. Fuel valve/petcock or filter clogged.
9. Fuel line to carburetor or throttle body pinched, kinked or blocked.
10. Carburetor float stuck.
11. Fuel injectors clogged.
12. Fuel injectors stuck open.
13. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead acid batteries.
14. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
15. Loose or corroded wire connection at the coil or plug between ignition sensor and ECM module.
16. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting check for spark leakage in the dark, cable connections loose, or connected to the wrong cylinders.
17. Ignition timing incorrect due to a faulty ignition coil, ignition module or MAP, CMP, CKP, O2, TPS, ETP, IAC sensors.
18. Faulty neutral, clutch lever, or kickstand safety switch.
19. Faulty fuel pump or fuse or relay.
20. A stuck bent or burnt valve.
21. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
22. Security system not disarming alarm needs a reset.
23. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Motorcycle Message Board Motorcycle USA
What to do When Your Motorcycle Won Start
OEM parts for Yamaha
Posted on May 19, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Checking the colour of the plug may tell you what the general state of tune if like for the bike, but the sudden stops sure sounds like ignition system failing. Fuel delivery still there, although it may well be flooding/overfueling for some reason when the problem occurs. I suppose you have checked the VIN (RM021000000000301 to RM021000000008715) just to be sure that your bike if not one of those affected by the recall. I would be asking the Yamagents to check for the mods/recall to be sure that whatever the solution is has actually been done to yours. The reference to wet weather would be inclining me to follow that up to the max. Sounds too close to the problem to not be it.
Posted on Jan 08, 2009
The sprag clutch that kicks the starter gear into the flywheel is not engaging. This may involve splitting the engine/transmission case if you have to clean or replace that mechanism. I have had success running CD-2 as described here. You might try that before tearing into the bike.
Posted on Mar 19, 2009
SOURCE: Won't Start
do you have compression? for a engine to run you need clean air,compression, good fuel(make sure the fuel has not been there 3 months or more as it will deteriate) and good spark as well as good exhaust as this will cause a back fire if the exhaust valves are not set right.
Posted on Apr 21, 2009
for a detailed manual, you would have to buy a yamaha shop manual for service mechanics. many ppl buy these, as dealership mechanics need this for complete repairs.
Posted on Jul 21, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 25, 2014 | Yamaha Motorcycles
May 31, 2014 | 1995 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
Sep 18, 2013 | 1988 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
Aug 10, 2013 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Mar 02, 2013 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Aug 26, 2010 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Aug 06, 2010 | 1988 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
Aug 31, 2009 | 1988 Yamaha XV 535 Virago DX
May 20, 2009 | 1993 Yamaha Xv 250 Virago S
Mar 12, 2009 | 1982 Yamaha XJ 650
27 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: