Question about Yamaha Motorcycles
79 xs1100 has a spark problem. Got it to run for a minute. Then shut if off. Went to start again, now I only get a spark just as I push the start button while cranking, no spark, then a spark after you let off the start button.
Hi, Aultman3 and the usual suspects are:
1. Fouled spark plugs.
2. Discharged battery, needs to be 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test, your battery may show 12.5 volts or more but has little or zero amps causing the battery to be faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this category more so than lead acid batteries.
3. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
4. Loose connection at ignition coil or plug between ignition sensor and module.
5. Spark plug cables in bad condition, shorting/leaking, spark plug cable connections loose check for spark leakage in the dark.
6. Faulty ignition coil or electronic control module.
7. Faulty CKP, CMP, or BAS sensor.
8. Faulty ignition switch.
9. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
10. Security alarm failing to disarm needs reset
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
How to diagnose no spark situation on motorcycle
OEM parts for Yamaha
Yamaha 1979 XS1100E Owner Manual
Posted on May 19, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
sounds like the float in one or more carbs are stuck..you will hahe to remove the float bowls and check if the floats shut off the fuel supply..
Posted on Sep 25, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 18, 2014 | Yamaha 1978-1981 1979 Xs1100 Stator...
Mar 16, 2014 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Jan 08, 2013 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Jul 07, 2011 | Yamaha FJ 1100 Motorcycles
Feb 01, 2011 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Aug 02, 2010 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Apr 26, 2010 | 1984 Yamaha FJ 1100
Mar 01, 2010 | 1980 Yamaha XS 400 Special
Sep 05, 2009 | 1979 Yamaha XS 650 F
Mar 25, 2009 | 1979 Yamaha XS 650 F
89 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: