Question about 1987 Honda XR 600 R
I have a 1987 xr600 dual sport and I am trying to get it started. I kick start it and it only turns over for a second or two@
Posted by Anonymous on
Fuel starvation or plug / points / lead issue I would imagine . Check them out one by one . Check YouTube for videos if unsure .
Posted on Oct 22, 2017
Hi, Anonymous and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty.
2. The fuel tank has old dead gas.
3. Fuel tank bottom contaminated with ethanol sludge, dirt, water, rust, etc.
4. Fuel supply valve/petcock turned off.
5. Fouled spark plugs.
6. Engine flooded as a result of overuse of the choke.
7. Vacuum hose to the fuel supply valve/petcock disconnected, broken, cracked, or pinched.
8. Fuel valve/petcock or filter clogged.
9. Fuel line to carburetor or throttle body pinched, kinked or blocked.
10. Carburetor float stuck.
11. Fuel injectors clogged.
12. Fuel injectors stuck open.
13. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
14. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
15. Loose or corroded wire connection at the coil or plug between ignition sensor and ECM module.
16. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting check for spark leakage in the dark, cable connections loose, or connected to the wrong cylinders.
17. Ignition timing incorrect due to a faulty ignition coil, ignition module or MAP, CMP, CKP, O2, TPS, ETP, IAC sensors.
18. Faulty neutral, clutch, kickstand safety switch.
19. Faulty fuel pump or fuse or relay.
20. A stuck bent or burnt valve.
21. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
22. Security system not disarming alarm needs a reset.
23. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
XR600 Project Will not Start
XR Won Start
1985 1990 Honda XR600R Service Repair Manual Download 1985 1986 1987 1988... $15
Posted on Oct 22, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Carburation is more than likely set too lean, or like one of my buys, had a cracked inlet manifold..letting in air.
The site below shows the carby in all it's glory with every part and name. The list of jets size# are for the range of riding conditions for that bike. Get jets at least one increment UP in size. They're available from all bike make dealers.
Exhaust, cam or valve timing/modifications will efect jetting to some degree, as will the need of a top end service.
Posted on May 22, 2010
SOURCE: 1987 XR600 stops when hot
Take your carburetor apart , clean it, and inspect the insides. My similar experience found the slow jet in the bottom of the bowl and a previous cleaner having installed the piston spring in the car top incorrectly. Put everything back to the stock settings (air screw). Double check the intake boot for cracks or separation. The problem is probably very simple , but disassembly will be required.
Posted on Sep 19, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 14, 2014 | 1996 Honda XR 600 R
Nov 25, 2013 | 1996 Honda XR 600 R
Sep 20, 2013 | 1999 Honda XR 600 R
Mar 30, 2013 | 1998 Honda XR 600 R
Aug 10, 2012 | 1985 Honda XR 600 R
Jun 03, 2012 | 1988 Honda XR 600 R
Feb 09, 2012 | 1987 Honda XR 600 R
Jan 21, 2011 | 1989 Honda XR 600 R
Sep 19, 2010 | 1987 Honda XR 600 R
Sep 17, 2009 | 1986 Honda XR 600 R
52 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: