Question about 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
My y reg Deauville will not start. I haven't started it since December. The battery is on trickle charge for most of the time. The starter motor turns over quite well but there doesn't seem to be any attempt of the engine to catch. I couldn't smell fuel after the attempt to start the machine and have checked the fuel to the pump, that's ok, but there isn't any from the output during the starting cycle. I've connected the pump to the battery and it runs. Any ideas would be much appreciated. @
Hi, Neilsharvey and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty.
2. The fuel tank has old dead gas.
3. Fuel tank bottom contaminated with ethanol sludge, dirt, water, rust, etc.
4. Fuel supply valve/petcock turned off.
5. Fouled spark plugs.
6. Engine flooded as a result of overuse of the choke.
7. Vacuum hose to the fuel supply valve/petcock disconnected, broken, cracked, or pinched.
8. Fuel valve/petcock or filter clogged.
9. Fuel line to carburetor or throttle body pinched, kinked or blocked.
10. Carburetor float stuck.
11. Fuel injectors clogged.
12. Fuel injectors stuck open.
13. Quick disconnect check ball stuck.
14. Compression below 75 PSI.
15. A stuck-bent-burnt valve.
16. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
17. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
18. Loose or corroded wire connection at the coil or plug between ignition sensor and ECM module.
19. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting check for spark leakage in the dark, cable connections are loose or connected to the wrong cylinders.
20. Ignition timing incorrect due to a faulty ignition coil, ignition module or MAP, CMP, CKP, O2, TPS, ETP, IAC sensors.
21. Faulty neutral, clutch, kickstand safety switch.
22. Faulty fuel pump or fuse or relay.
23. Faulty or corroded run/stop switch.
24. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
25. Security system not disarming alarm needs a reset.
26. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Engine turns won start Honda NTV Revere
Honda Deauville 650 not starting
Honda NT700V Deauville Service Manual
Honda NTV650 Owner Manual
Posted on Feb 03, 2018
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: 2005 Honda crf450x cold starting
doulbe check the grounds, & you might need to add and extra ground wire to the bike, closer to the starter. This should help. There is a valve that release the compression when you kick it off.You might see if you can pull this release the compression valve while pushing the start button????
Posted on Feb 11, 2009
SOURCE: Hard to Start Bike
need to start w/ a tune -up and diagnostic to start eliminating potential causes. 1st take off tank, & remove plugs and do compression test. should have 149-206 psi in each cylinder, have throttle wide open as you crank motor for test.next take valve cover off and check valve tappet clearance,intakes .003"-.005",exhausts.006-.008,adjust as needed by reshimming to specs.reinstall valve cover w/ new gasket.replace spark plugs w/ new ngk dpr9ea-9 plugs w/ gap set at .031"-.035" next check air cleaner & box clean or replace as necessary. make sure fuel is fresh and that you have fuel to all carbs by opening fuel drain screw at bottom of bowls to check for fuel in bowls.make sure all spark plugs are firing also by connecting to cap & cranking motor as you hold plug to ground on motor or frame, one at atime, to avoid potentially harming cdi box always have plug grounded to bike when cranking motor. if all this checks out ok or is brought back to specs.,and still running bad or wont start, carb. set should be taken off & inspected,cleaned,repaired as needed, reinstalled on bike, and synchronized w/ vacuum guage set.
Posted on Feb 20, 2009
SOURCE: Honda Deauville will not start.
Hi and welcome to FixYa,
The click is significant. It indicates that the starting relay is engaging but for some reason, the starter motor is not cranking. This could either be a faulty starter relay (particularly the contacts) or a faulty starter motor (specifically, the carbon brushes). To determine which:
Posted on Feb 24, 2009
Testimonial: "Sorry for not getting back sooner. I got a replacement relay (used) and fit a new battery all in order thank you. "
First check if the current is coming from ignition coil....
If YES ... then the spark plug is burnt(shorted) Get new plugs.
If NO... then there could be a problem with the ignition coil itself Or the coil in the dynamo is burnt.... Regards
Posted on Feb 23, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 13, 2017 | 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Sep 03, 2017 | 2001 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Aug 09, 2013 | 2004 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Jul 04, 2013 | 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Jan 14, 2012 | 1999 Honda Deauville NTV 650
May 26, 2011 | 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Apr 30, 2011 | 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Dec 10, 2010 | 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Apr 29, 2010 | 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
Mar 19, 2010 | 1998 Honda Deauville NTV 650
60 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: