Timing is not resettable by the user, as the computer controls this based on knock or no knock conditions which will advance or ****** ignition timing for optimum performance.
The valve timing is something that is set when installing the timing chain:
2.5L, 2.8L and 3.1L Engines
Fig. 4: Timing chain and sprocket removal - 2.5L engine
Fig. 5: Timing chain and sprocket removal - 1996 3.1L engine shown
Fig. 6: You must use a suitable puller to remove the crankshaft sprocket
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the timing chain front cover assembly, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Rotate the crankshaft until the timing marks on the crankshaft sprocket and camshaft sprocket locator hole are aligned to the marks on the engine block or timing chain dampener. This is the No. 1 piston at TDC (No. 4 firing position).
- Unfasten the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt/screw, then remove the camshaft sprocket and the timing chain.
NOTE: If the camshaft sprocket does not come off easily, a light blow on the lower edge of the sprocket with a rubber mallet should loosen the sprocket.
- Remove the crankshaft sprocket using tool J 23444-A or equivalent puller.
- If necessary, remove the timing chain dampener retaining bolts, then remove the dampener.
- Install the crankshaft sprocket using tool J 38612 until it the sprocket is fully seated on the flange of the crankshaft nose. Apply a coat of Molykote® or equivalent, to the sprocket thrust surface.
- Hold the camshaft sprocket with the chain hanging down, and align the marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.
- If removed, install the timing chain damper to the engine block.
- Align the dowel in the camshaft with the dowel hole in the camshaft sprocket. Install the camshaft sprocket and chain, use the camshaft sprocket bolts to draw the sprocket on to the camshaft. Tighten the sprocket bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Lubricate the timing chain with engine oil.
- Install the front cover assembly, as outlined earlier in this section.
- Connect the negative battery cable.