I have a 1986 BMW K75C and I just replaced the spark plugs, coolant, oil, and put gas in it. The problem is, that it will now not start. I tried opening the choke, pulling the clutch lever, etc. It whines like its trying to start, but will never catch. It is kind of cold, about 55 degrees. The spark plug are the correct ones, with the cap on the end, and gapped correctly.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Hi, Tonyhickey52 if your bike has been sitting idle for months or years and you did not do any pre-storage maintenance I feel your pain it will probably have a dead battery and not want to start or if it starts it will idle and run poorly, here are the following steps necessary to complete in order to get your bike back to an acceptable running condition.
1. If your battery was 3 years or older when you last had the bike running you should replace it.
2. If you believe your battery might still be serviceable remove it from the bike and put it on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger for 24 hours. If it is the old lead acid type with visible cells and acid levels fill each cell to the top line with distilled water and replace the caps, run the vent tube into a plastic or styrofoam cup, any cells that are cloudy/milky replace the battery.
3. After charging remove the leads and let the battery sit for a couple of hours then check the battery voltage with a volt meter, you should have 12.5 volts or better, any readings in the 11 volt range you need to do a proper load test on the battery and replace as necessary, any readings in the 10 volt range you have a dead cell and replace the battery.
4. Drain and flush fuel tank, google " how to clean a motorcycle gas tank" find a couple forums to view the different options available.
5. Remove your air cleaner and clean and re-oil per Mfg. specifications.
6. Remove the carburetor, disassemble and decontaminate with a carb dip or if you have EFI remove injectors and clean with carb spray and compressed air
7. Remove fuel valve and filter disassemble and clean as necessary, remove fuel lines and replace with new ones.
8. Replace spark plug with a new one and check for spark.
For more information about your issue please visit the websites below. Good luck and have a nice day. BMW K75S fuel pump removal BMW K75s restoration fuel tank clean and repair part 3 Fuel filter... http://www.k100.biz/pdf/OFF/K100_K75_2V_eng.pdf BMW Motorcycle Parts Fiche OEM BMW Motorcycle Parts online 1970 present BMW K75 Rider Manual English PDF Useful to K100 owners as well BMW K75 K100 K1...
Coolant temperture sensor. Look at the front of the cylinder head. There will be a square 3 pin connector. This should be the one you need to replace. What happens is that it is stuck telling the computer that the coolant is cold thus providing more fuel to start. Once the system is warm this excess fuel is not needed and can create the black (raw fuel) smoke that is coming from the tail pipe once warm. This is a very simple repair. Let me know if you need anything else.
I'd personally start by checking the basic ignition components; spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. If any of these items are damaged, worn or just no longer up to specification then they're likely to be the culprit. Mine just went through a spate of stalling and wouldn't restart because the wires were no longer insulating properly...weak spark, wouldn't ignite the fuel.
Let us know if this helps, and if not try to provide some more detail regarding the conditions when this is occuring.
i have had the same problem at times. my car would start and then shut off. but i found that i needed oil and check my oil and it was a quater low put in some oil and everything went fine i notices that everytime the oil is low the same thing happens also depending on the position of the car being park meaning that if you are in a down hill position or up hill position i will do the same. so you have to accelarate for 1 minute to have the oil go up. i hope this works