Question about 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Honda vt500c won't start just keeps backfiring it's driving me mad any help would be great.Kevin
Hi, Weiiser1 and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead acid batteries.
2. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
3. Faulty main circuit breaker and or connections.
4. Faulty ignition coil and or connections.
5. Faulty spark plug, oil or gas fouled, wrong heat range or service type, wrong gap, loose in the cylinder head, broken electrode or insulator.
6. Faulty spark plug cables, leaking or broken, internal damage check for spark leakage in the dark.
7. Faulty ignition module, switch, CKP, MAP, CMP, sensor and or any connector in the ignition circuit could have corroded, loose, or broken pins/sockets
8. Burnt exhaust valve or air leak in the exhaust system.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Older Honda Shadow won start
What Do Check When My Motorcycle Won Start Honda Shadow Forums Shadow...
Posted on Jul 15, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
You should have disc brakes??? They are not adjustable.
It is common for a caliper piston to freeze up or become corroded and bind up so it will not move freely.
Posted on Aug 12, 2009
Check your plugs. If all four are sparking then your carbs are out of sync. They will need to be re-balanced.
If you are capabable in doing this job your self, you will need a screwdriver that fits your adjuster screws and a CarbTune Carb balancer.
Remove your tank and airbox.
You should see the flaps inside your carbs. These should open when you move your throttle.
Start on the outside carbs to get them balanced with the 2 centre ones.
To start, unscrew the adjusters all the way out. then screw them in until the 2 outer carbs move at the same time as the inner 2 carbs
Once this is done then adjust the centre balancer to syncronise the 2 left hand carbs to the 2 right hand carbs.
Now if you have done this correctly, all four carbs should open at the exact same time.
If you have a Carbtune balancer, remove the plugs from the top of your inlet manifold and plug in the hoses from the carbtune balancer.
Start the engine and adjust the screws until the weights inside the Carbtune balancer all read the same.
Once done, remove the balancer, replace the plugs into the inlet manifold, refit the airbox and tank and it should run so much better.
If your not 100% confident to unertake this job yourself, take the bike to your local dealer and ask to have the carbs balanced.
Posted on Mar 15, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 31, 2016 | Honda Motorcycles
Mar 11, 2016 | Honda Motorcycles
Aug 24, 2013 | 1983 Honda vt 500 ft ascot
Apr 28, 2013 | 1986 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Dec 11, 2012 | Motorcycles
Dec 02, 2012 | 2004 Honda CRF 250 X
Sep 08, 2012 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
May 07, 2012 | 1986 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Sep 22, 2010 | 1986 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
122 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: