Question about 1987 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
I recently bought a honda vt 500 e, 1987 is not working for a long time and all the cables are in bad conditions.as well, the engine doesn´t seem it works even with new spark plugs. the start engine seems ok. is there someone with solutions? @
Hi, Sandromr_23 and the usual suspects are:
1. Fuel tank empty.
2. The fuel tank has old dead gas.
3. Fuel tank bottom contaminated with ethanol sludge, dirt, water, rust, etc.
4. Fuel supply valve/petcock turned off.
5. Fouled spark plugs.
6. Engine flooded as a result of overuse of the choke.
7. Vacuum hose to the fuel supply valve/petcock disconnected, broken, cracked, or pinched.
8. Fuel valve/petcock or filter clogged.
9. Fuel line to carburetor or throttle body pinched, kinked or blocked.
10. Carburetor float stuck.
11. Fuel injectors clogged.
12. Fuel injectors stuck open.
13. Quick disconnect check ball stuck.
14. Compression below 75 PSI.
15. A stuck-bent-burnt valve.
16. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
17. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
18. Loose or corroded wire connection at the coil or plug between ignition sensor and ECM module.
19. Spark plug cables in bad condition and shorting check for spark leakage in the dark, cable connections are loose or connected to the wrong cylinders.
20. Ignition timing incorrect due to a faulty ignition coil, ignition module or MAP, CMP, CKP, O2, TPS, ETP, IAC sensors.
21. Faulty neutral, clutch, kickstand safety switch.
22. Faulty fuel pump or fuse or relay.
23. Faulty or corroded run/stop switch.
24. Tilt sensor needs a reset.
25. Security system not disarming alarm needs a reset.
26. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
What Do Check When My Motorcycle Won Start
1983 1986 Shadow 500 VT500C Service Repair Manual English German French... $15
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Feb 13, 2018
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Hi, cant help with the tool kit but i think you can get the manual from here...http://www.manualz.info/Manuals_pdf/
Posted on Jan 15, 2009
Your valve clearances should be:
Intake .08-.12 mm (.003-.005 in)
Exhaust .12-.16 mm (.005-.006 in)
I usually start all gaps in the middle of given specs, then fine tune from there.
Hope this helps
Posted on Mar 15, 2009
SOURCE: the bike misses when going 55mph
What else have you done or checked besides the plugs. Does it start and idle fine? Test the new plugs. The ark should be bright blue or between 7 to 8 ohms. If the ark is yellow or orange, you may have a bad plug or coil.
Posted on Jun 16, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 21, 2017 | 1985 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Apr 12, 2014 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Jan 12, 2014 | 1987 Honda VT 1100 C Shadow
Jan 06, 2014 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Jun 30, 2012 | 1986 Honda VT 500 C
Feb 20, 2012 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Feb 17, 2012 | 1985 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Aug 16, 2011 | 1985 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Jul 17, 2011 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C
Oct 03, 2010 | 1984 Honda VT 500 C Shadow
Jul 09, 2018 | Motorcycles
104 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: