Question about 2006 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster Custom
Hi Blaborde63, perform the following tests:
1. Fill acid type batteries to proper levels.
2. Charge battery overnight at 1-2 amps you need 12.5 volts or better after charging.
3. Hook up battery positive cable, then with your multimeter on the milliamp scale connect one lead to the negative battery post and the other lead to the ground cable. Meter should read 3 milliamps or less, 10 milliamps with a radio, 15 milliamps with radio and CB. If your meter reads higher you need to isolate the circuit by pulling fuses and circuit breakers one at a time and observe meter for drop in aprerage then get out your test light and track down the short in that circuit.
3. Make sure all connections are clean and tight especially the negative cable at both ends.
4. Hook up volt meter to battery and start engine, if meter falls below 9.5 v while cranking replace battery.
5. With engine running at 3600 RPM battery should read 14.3-14.7 volts if not continue tests.
6. Unplug voltage regulator from alternator at crankcase by front of primary cover.
7. To test voltage regulator go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8EjV0IjW9Q
8. With ohm meter, one lead grounded, touch alternator pin meter should read infinity, if not replace stator.
9. With ohm meter, both leads touching alternator pins meter should read 0.1 to 0.2 ohms on 1989 and later models. 0.2 to 0.4 ohms 1988 and earlier models, if not replace stator.
10. With volt meter set on AC scale, both leads touching alternator pins meter should read
16 to 20 volts AC for every 1000 RPM'S 1989 and later and 19 to 26 volts AC for every 1000 RPMS. If not replace rotor.
17. For a free wiring diagram please visit the website below and good luck.Harley Davidson Wiring Diagrams and Schematics
Posted on Jun 07, 2015
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 10, 2013 | 2002 Harley Davidson XL 1200 S Sportster...
Jul 23, 2013 | 2007 Harley Davidson XL 883 Sportster
May 07, 2013 | 2007 Harley Davidson XL 883 Sportster
Mar 24, 2012 | 2007 Harley Davidson XL1200R Sportster...
Sep 17, 2011 | 2007 Harley Davidson XL 883 Sportster
May 06, 2010 | 2004 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Apr 03, 2010 | 2006 Harley Davidson XL 1200 C Sportster...
Apr 02, 2010 | 2007 Harley Davidson XL 883 Sportster
Jun 27, 2009 | 2007 Harley Davidson XL 883 Sportster
Mar 16, 2009 | Harley Davidson XLH Sportster 883 Deluxe...
May 26, 2018 | KTM Motorcycles
214 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: