Question about 2002 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
Honda VLX 600 idles fine, but runs rough and misses under a load when it gets hot. Checked battery connections and ground connections. Cleaned carbs. No change. Re-jetted rich, no change. Re-jetted lean, no change. Checked continuity, insulation breakdown, and the voltage on the pulse coils and the ignition coils. Resistance was within spec and no continuity to ground. I don't have any voltage specs, but everything seems to be normal when compared to a similar ignition system. Also, swapped the ICM with another VLX, no change. @
Hi, Farrgerald and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
2. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
3. Spark plugs in bad condition or partially fouled.
4. Spark plug cables in bad condition and leaking check for spark leakage in the dark
5. Spark plug gap too close or too wide.
6. Faulty ignition coil, module, and or sensor.
7. Loose, dirty, or corroded ignition module connector at crankcase.
8. Faulty CKP or CMP, MAP, ETS, ATS, TPS, O2 sensor.
9. Dirty air filter.
10. Intake air leak.
11. Water, dirt, or rust in the fuel system.
12. Carburetor contaminated, sticky float, plugged jets.
13. Carburetor has oil in the bowl due to excessive oil in pre-mix.
14. Carburetor vacuum diaphragm torn, cracked, not seated or installed improperly.
15. Multiple carburetors out of sync.
16. Fuel filter clogged.
17. Old or contaminated fuel.
18. Fuel tank vent system plugged or carb vent line closed off.
19. Gas cap diaphragm valve faulty.
20. Vacuum line from intake manifold to fuel valve is broken, cracked, pinched, or missing.
21. Carburetor controls misadjusted.
22. Incorrect valve timing.
23. Valve springs floating, weak, or broken.
24. Damaged intake or exhaust valve.
25. Incompatible performance parts.
26. Control module may be in "LIMP" mode
27. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Not Firing On All Cylinders
Spark Plugs Gapping
Honda VT600C Shadow VLX Service Manual
Honda VT600C Owner Manual
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Feb 15, 2018
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
There are two set screws on the throat of the intake. One is the high side and the other is the low side. You need to turn the high side about 1/4 turn clockwise. If it is still rich, do it again until it is nominal.
Posted on Apr 07, 2010
G'day mate 1st there will be a small gauze filter in the fuel tap ,may also be little gauze at needle and seat in carbs 2nd have you got an air leak , check this by letting the motor idle and spray around the carb where it goes onto the head with WD40/CRC/RP7 style lubricant if it revs up , you got a leak, 3rd remember that a coil will take much more power to rev an engine up than to let it idle . hope this helps
Posted on Mar 31, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
May 26, 2014 | 2002 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
May 11, 2014 | 2002 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
Dec 27, 2012 | 2005 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
Nov 23, 2012 | 2002 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
Sep 09, 2011 | 2002 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
Mar 28, 2011 | 2003 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
Jun 06, 2010 | 2002 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
Jun 02, 2009 | 2002 Honda VT 600 CD Shadow
500 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: