Question about 2003 Honda VTX 1300 Retro
Vtx cuts out riding down the road, seems like running out of gas, will eventually start again. vapor lock? bad gas? happened to me twice in 3 months, seems o.k now but for how long thanks @
Hi, Gerald_erick and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
2. Failed alternator/generator and or voltage regulator.
3. Loose or corroded battery terminals and or cables especially the "NEGATIVE" cable, look for loose, corroded, or broken connectors inside the cable harness at "BOTH" ends.
4. Failed main circuit breaker or ignition switch, check for loose connections and continuity.
5. Failed system and or ignition relay, check for continuity.
6. Failed ignition coil, stator, magneto, ignition/electronic module.
7. Failed CKP, CPS, CMP, MAP, TPS, or BAS sensor, corroded, loose or broken wire connector pins/sockets.
8. Throttle cables and or idle speed improperly adjusted hot idle speed should be 950 RPM to 1000 RPM.
9. Faulty neutral, side stand or clutch lever safety switch.
10. Faulty or corroded kill switch.
11. Accelerator pump damaged or not working.
12. Water or dirt in the fuel system, carburetor or filter.
13. Restricted, blocked or kinked fuel line.
14. Fuel tank empty.
15. The gas cap is not venting properly or fuel tank venting system blocked, loosen gas cap and go for a test ride.
16. A failed fuel pump, pressure regulator and or fuel injectors.
17. Vacuum line from intake manifold to petcock broken, cracked, or not attached, carburetor vent line plugged.
18. Needle and seat stuck closed in the float bowl.
19. Petcock clogged or damaged.
20. Lean angle switch is faulty or needs adjustment.
21. Catastrophic engine failure, perform a compression test.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
2006 VTX 1300C Cutting out please help
2004 vtx 1800 looses power cuts out stalls
Honda VTX1300S Service Manual
Honda VTX1300C VTX 2004 Owner Manual
Posted on Feb 13, 2018
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: 1980 honda cg 125 wont start
look under the seat and along the side panels for wear signs on the cable loom , Sounds like something important has grounded itself to the frame , hence the battery discharging and loss of ignition ,
Posted on Jun 06, 2009
Remove the water trap bowl at the bottom of the petcock, (gas valve). Is there any water or trash in the bowl? Drain a cup of gas from the tank. Is there any water or trash in the cup? Dump it, clean it and re-mount it, ( not all bikes have a water trap bowl ).
Drain the carburetor. There should be a screw on the lower side or bottom of the carb float bowl. Remove the screw then replace it after the fuel drains. Turn the gas back on and wait a minute for the carb to fill with gas. Install a new stock NGK spark plug and try to start the engine. If the bike doesn't start and run properly then shut off the gas and remove the carburetor from the engine.
Remove the float bowl and clean the entire carb with a spray carb cleaner from the auto parts store. Wear protective goggles to avoid getting spray in your eyes. Spray into all the little airways and fittings in the carb. Remove the idle screw and the air screw on the outside throat of the carb and spray into the screw holes as well.
< < READ CLOSELY > >
Be sure to put these two screws back in the same hole they came out of. IMPORTANT > do not tighten these two adjusters down. Only screw these in until they LIGHTLY seat. Now turn each adjuster one and one half turns outward. Put the rest of the carb back together, clean the air filter and install the carb. Let the float bowl fill then start the engine.
A “very helpful” rating for this answer? Thanks!
Posted on Jul 01, 2009
hi buddy its simple one is the idle and the over is the air mixture screw just turn it all the way in and unscrew it so many turns (says this in manual eg 2 turns out ) get back to me if not right
Posted on Sep 23, 2009
Testimonial: "Helpful: Pointed me in the right direction. Thanks"
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 06, 2013 | 2003 Honda VTX 1300 Retro
Oct 20, 2011 | 2005 Honda VTX 1300 R
Nov 04, 2010 | 2004 Honda VTX 1300
Oct 14, 2009 | 2005 Honda VTX 1300 R
Oct 10, 2009 | 2004 Honda VTX 1300 Retro
Sep 01, 2009 | 2004 Honda VTX 1300 Retro
Jul 19, 2009 | 2004 Honda VTX 1300
May 17, 2009 | 2005 Honda VTX 1300 R
Apr 19, 2009 | 2003 Honda VTX 1300 Retro
47 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: