Question about 2007 Buell Lightning Long XB12Ss
Problems starting. Fuel pump activates, lights come on, but it just makes a click noise when starting and nothing else. Changed battery and checked charge.
Hi, Polyproticat it should be noted that in order to "PROPERLY" diagnosis any electric starter issue it is "IMPERATIVE" that you begin with a fully charged battery 12.5 volts or better and be able to pass a proper load test, and the usual suspects are:
1. Battery terminals have loose or corroded connections.
2. Battery cables faulty due corroded or broken internal wiring at the cable connector especially the "NEGATIVE" cable which needs to be checked at "BOTH" ends.
3. Battery voltage, 12.5 volts or better,to the main circuit breaker to the ignition switch to the security/ignition fuse to the TSM/TSSM module to the engine stop/run switch to the starter button to the starter relay to the green wire that connects to the starter solenoid has dropped more than 1/2 volt.
4. With a voltmeter connected to the battery, the ignition switch in the on position, the kill switch in the run position, the starter button depressed, starter engagement should not bring voltage below 8-9 volts.
If a lower voltage is produced a proper battery load test should be performed with a load tester to validate battery integrity or battery replacement.
5. Faulty starter relay, check continuity.
6. Faulty starter solenoid, check contact plate and shoes for excessive electrical erosion/etching, refurbish as necessary or invert contact plate and use the virgin backside. Check contact shoes for being loose. Replace solenoid if the negative function is still a final outcome.
7. Faulty starter, bench test starter with a 12-volt battery if negative function check, decontaminate and undercut armature commutator segments as necessary, check segments with an ohm-meter probe each one and the segment next to it for shorts. Have the armature tested with a growler and field coils, and brush plate with an ohm-meter for opens, shorts or grounds. Replace brushes if less than .438" It is generally cheaper to overhaul/refurbish a starter motor than buy a new one.
For more information about your issue and free downloads that you will need please visit the websites below, and for specific information or questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck and have a nice day.
http://badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/3842/143909.html Buell XB clicking starter problem
Buell Service Manuals PDF Download
TWIN Motorcycles Buell parts
buell lightning owners manual
Posted on Jan 10, 2016
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Fuel pump noise 2005 Buell xb9sx
That is the fuel pump doing its job of pumping. If it stops making noise, it stopped pumping, and no gas is getting into your motor. Your bike will not run without a running fuel pump. :)
Posted on May 28, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 01, 2015 | 2009 Chevrolet Cruze
Dec 14, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Mar 30, 2012 | 1990 Ford Mustang
Mar 17, 2011 | 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Nov 28, 2010 | 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
May 27, 2009 | 1999 Mercury Cougar
88 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: