Question about 1998 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
98 Suzuki marauder vz800 running on 1 cylinder and backfiring. I changed both spark plugs and back air filter was full of oil. Put a new one in still running on 1 cylinder and will hardly accelerate and backfiring. What could be wrong?
Hi, Michelle you need "FIVE" things in order for a cylinder to run properly:
1. FUEL: in order to validate your not getting fuel spray some starting fluid into the air cleaner and hit the starter button, if it fires up and runs for a few seconds then you know you have a fuel delivery issue. Multi carb banks should be bench "SYNC"
2. SPARK: remove the spark plug and with it connected to the spark plug cable ground the threads to something metal you should see a bluish white spark if not you have a faulty spark plug, spark plug cable, ignition coil, condenser, CKP, ECM, sensor or the wiring in between.
3. COMPRESSION: you must have at least 80-100 PSI for most bikes, multi-cylinder engines should be within 10-15% of each other if not perform a leak down test you may have a burnt or bent valve or hole in the piston or broken rings.
4. CAM TIMING: confirm your timing marks are aligned to see if the cam chain or adjuster are worn out and the chain has skipped a couple teeth.
5. IGNITION TIMING: on older bikes check to see if your points have not closed up, timing plate has not become loose and confirm with a timing light for proper retard and advance functions, on newer bikes where timing is controlled by an ECM and is nonadjustable check you CKP, TPS, MAP, O2, sensor or its counterpart for integrity.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
mis firing VZ800
Vz800 97 only runs on one cylinder possible broken wire
2000 VZ800 marauder 800 Front cylinder not getting fuel
Suzuki 1997 VZ800 Service Manual
OEM parts for Suzuki
Posted on Aug 12, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Did you sync the two carbs? If not the rear may be getting all the gas from the rear carb and none to the front. Twist throttle engine off and see if front carb cable is pulling the carb open.
Also unscrew the spark plug boot from the front spark plug wire and trim 1/8th inch off the wire and screw the boot back in. The plug wire end may be corroded on that wire.
Posted on Feb 08, 2010
SOURCE: oil in air cleaner
Run it minus an air filter until all the oil is off your piston head, you can also try keeping the plug out and ejecting the oil via that access by pulling the cord. It seems like you've already solved the problem, now you're just cleaning up.
Posted on Apr 22, 2010
SOURCE: I have a 24 hp
What is your engine model number? It will be in the form of xxxxxx-xxxx-xx.
As far as I know the 725 ELS plug gap is 0.030"
Intake and exhaust valve clearance must be .004"-.006"
Incorrect valve clearance is the most likely culprit for backfiring. This can be caused by normal wear and tear.
Posted on Aug 30, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 19, 2015 | 2003 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
Sep 22, 2014 | 2000 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
May 16, 2014 | 1998 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
Mar 18, 2014 | Suzuki Motorcycles
Jan 20, 2013 | 2003 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
Jul 08, 2012 | 2002 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
Jul 29, 2011 | 1998 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
Jun 16, 2011 | 1998 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
Oct 19, 2010 | 2000 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
Nov 08, 2009 | 1998 Suzuki VZ 800 Marauder
50 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: