Question about Harley Davidson FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic Motorcycles
Hi, John YaYa and Fratto are on the right track it all depends on the year of your bike from 1997-2001 the fuel pump relay was under the seat to the right of the battery all other years it was behind the right side panel also it should be noted that in order to "PROPERLY" diagnosis any electric starter issue it is "IMPERATIVE" that you begin with a fully charged battery 12.5 volts or better and be able to pass a proper load test, and the usual suspects are:
1. Battery terminals have loose or corroded connections.
2. Battery cables faulty due corroded or broken internal wiring at the cable connector especially the "NEGATIVE" cable which needs to be checked at "BOTH" ends.
3. Battery voltage, must be 12.5 volts or better, voltage from the battery to the main circuit breaker to the ignition switch to the security/ignition fuse to the TSM/TSSM module to the engine stop/run switch to the starter button to the starter relay to the green wire that connects to the starter solenoid can not drop more than 1/2 volt of battery voltage.
4. With a voltmeter connected to the battery, the ignition switch in the on position, the kill switch in the run position, the starter button depressed, starter engagement should not bring voltage below 8-9 volts.
If a lower voltage is produced a proper battery load test should be performed with a load tester to validate battery integrity or battery replacement.
5. Faulty starter relay, check continuity.
6. Faulty starter solenoid, check contact plate and shoes for excessive electrical erosion/etching, refurbish as necessary or invert contact plate and use the virgin backside. Check contact shoes for being loose. Replace solenoid if the negative function is still a final outcome.
7. Faulty starter, bench test starter with a 12-volt battery if negative function check, decontaminate and undercut armature commutator segments as necessary, check segments with an ohmmeter probe each one and the segment next to it for shorts. Have the armature tested with a growler and field coils, and brush plate with an ohm-meter for opens, shorts or grounds. Replace brushes if less than .438" It is generally cheaper to overhaul/refurbish a starter motor than buy a new one.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the links below and for more specific information or questions at no charge please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck and have a nice day.
Harley Davidson service manual Mark workshop
How 6ya Works 6ya A must have !!! Totally "FREE"
Posted on Dec 20, 2016
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 01, 2015 | 1999 Ford Expedition
on Apr 03, 2010 | Ford Taurus Cars & Trucks
Aug 11, 2013 | 2007 Qlink Legacy 250
Oct 04, 2011 | 2002 GMC Yukon Denali
Jul 03, 2011 | Craftsman 25cc Gas Line Trimmer
Dec 15, 2010 | Mercury Cougar Cars & Trucks
Jan 12, 2009 | 1999 Jeep Cherokee
Dec 29, 2008 | 1997 GMC Safari
Dec 06, 2008 | 1986 GMC Safari
Oct 02, 2008 | 2002 GMC Sierra C/K1500
23 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: