Question about 2001 Honda XR 250 R
Hello fellas! I Have Honda xr 250 r 1995 and this problem. The engine is running at idle speed (or vary low) when I throttle sharp (sudden) it dies. It seems like drown in gas, but I am not sure - especially when it still cold. The high revs are OK. Thanks!
It does sound like its getting to much fuel, or the lack of air. Air filter ok? If it is you might need to have a compression check done to see how the piston rings are.
Posted on Jul 03, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 25, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Jun 28, 2014 | Honda Activa Motorcycles
May 19, 2014 | 1999 Honda XR 250 R
The engine control module (ECM) learns the idle position of the throttle plate to ensure the correct idle. Anytime the throttle body is cleaned or replaced, the ECM must learn the new throttle position. The idle may be unstable or a DTC may set if the throttle position is not learned.
Conditions for Running the Throttle Learn Procedure
• DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0107, P0108, P0111, P0112, P0113, P0506, and P0507 are not set.
• The engine speed is between 450-4,000 RPM.
• The manifold absolute pressure (MAP) is greater than 5 kPa.
• The mass air flow (MAF) is greater than 2 g/s.
• The ignition 1 voltage is greater than 10 volts.
Important: Do NOT perform this procedure if DTCs are set. Refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code
(DTC) List - Vehicle.
1. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
2. With a scan tool, monitor desired and actual RPM.
3. The ECM will start to learn the new idle cells and Desired RPM should start to decrease.
4. Ignition OFF for 60 seconds.
5. Start and idle the engine in PARK for 3 minutes.
6. After the 3 minute run time the engine should be idling normal.
Important: During the drive cycle the check engine light may come on with idle speed DTCs. If idle speed codes are set, clear codes so the ECM can continue to learn.
* If the engine idle speed has not been learned the vehicle will need to be driven at
speeds above 70 km/h (44 mph) with several decelerations and extended idles.
7. After the drive cycle, the engine should be idling normally.
* If the engine idle speed has not been learned, turn OFF the ignition for 60 seconds
and repeat step 6.
8. Once the engine speed has returned to normal, clear DTCs.
Mar 04, 2014 | 1995 GMC Sierra
Here are the most common causes of idle surge, stalls at stops, slow idle speed, erratic idle speed, rough idle and engine hesitation (and other problems), it is in most cases the idle speed control air-bypass valve and or throttle valve and upper intake, these area's get full of gunk and combustion residue over the miles and cause idle issues (stalls, low idle) like yours, Get a can of intake cleaner from any local parts store, not carb spray, intake cleaner, it is made by a company called CRC, remove the air intake hose to the engine, hold the idle high so the engine won't stall, then spray the can of cleaner into the intake while keeping the engine running, use at least 1/2 the can, shut down the engine and disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, then restart and complete a number of mixed driving cycles, town, freeway, stop and go etc., after a few days the problem will go away as the system will relearn to the clean intake
Aug 18, 2017 | 1996 Honda Accord
To correct this problem Buy a can of throttle valve cleaner (it is made by CRC) from the local auto parts store, NEVER USE CARB CLEANING SPRAY, IT DESTROYS THE ANTI-STICK TEFLON COATING, spray it into the air intake through the throttle body of the engine until you have used about half the can, you will need to hold the idle up while you do this, it will try to stall, after this shut the engine down and disconnect the Negative (-) battery cable for 5 minutes. The intake is now clean, if you continue to have the idle speed control problems you may need to seek the help of a professional.
Feb 12, 2012 | Honda Odyssey Cars & Trucks
Jul 03, 2009 | Husqvarna 23 Hp 48" Deck Yard Tractor
May 12, 2009 | 2004 Honda Civic
May 08, 2009 | Honda CR-V Cars & Trucks
Jul 13, 2008 | 1992 Honda Accord
373 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: