Question about 1997 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
The starter will not turn over when installing on the bike. Battery fully charged. (12.7 Volts) All indicator lights function, as does the horn. When starter switch is pressed, all indicator lights go out. Connecting the jumper cable's (+) lead directly from the battery to the starter terminal post only produces a slight click from the starter relay. Starter operates on the test bench. The bike is in Neutral. All fuses checked . Battery posts and connecting cable terminals cleaned with wire brush. Worked fine last Fall. New batery removed for winter season and charged periodically while out of service. @
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous before testing any electrical component in the Starting Circuit it is "IMPERATIVE" that you have a fully charged battery of 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a preliminary reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage, the battery is faulty and must be replaced. AGM type batteries fall into this scenario more so than lead-acid batteries.
1. Ignition Switch not in the "ON" position.
2. Engine Run Switch in the "OFF" position.
3. Engine Run Switch is "FAULTY" or corroded.
4. Check the battery terminals for damage or corrosion check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter.
5. Bank angle sensor needs a reset or is faulty.
6. FOB battery low or dead.
7. Faulty ignition switch.
8. Faulty starter button.
9. Faulty kickstand, clutch, neutral safety switch.
10. Security alarm needs a reset.
11. Starter relay, solenoid, starter motor or circuit wiring faulty.
12. Starter armature or field coils have failed.
13. Main fuse or circuit breaker may be blown or faulty.
14. Faulty ignition relay.
15. The electric starter is working but starter clutch has failed.
16. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Electrical Problem 95 VN1500 Kawasaki Forums
bike won turn over anymore Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum Kawasaki VN750 Forums
OEM Parts for Kawasaki
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic Owner Manual
Posted on Mar 07, 2018
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
under the seat there is a reset button that taked a metal prong thingie (dont know whent it's called) you can use a paper clip - just jump the two terminals and try to start it,, doesnt happen all the time but it does happen.
Posted on Jul 23, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 11, 2014 | 1997 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Apr 21, 2013 | 1998 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Aug 13, 2012 | 1997 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Jun 12, 2012 | 1997 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Feb 23, 2018 | 1997 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Sep 22, 2011 | 1996 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
May 22, 2011 | 2002 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Sep 07, 2010 | 2004 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Apr 21, 2010 | 2001 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
Jan 18, 2010 | 2001 kawasaki VN 1500 Vulcan Classic
62 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: