Question about 1987 Yamaha YX 600 Radian
Bike will run for 20 min or ride 8 miles and it wont hold a charge.Need possible suggestions to solve problem
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous the systems check below is geared towards Harley Davidson so exact numbers might differ slightly with book specs on your bike but the basic principal is the same, in order to check out any main electrical system, you have to start with a fully charged battery 12.5 volts or better, and be able to pass a load test if necessary. "WARNING" never plug or unplug any electrical connector with the engine running !!!
1. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
2. Check the voltage drop at the battery when you hit the starter button, anything below 9 volts you might have a faulty battery.
3. Check voltage at the battery with the bike running at 3,600 RPM should be 14.3 to 14.7 volts. If you are not getting these numbers, you might have a faulty voltage regulator.
4. Make sure voltage regulator is "GROUNDED" and functioning properly, watch the video below on how to test a voltage regulator.
5. Unplug the connector to the alternator and hook your multimeter leads to the alternator (pin/socket selection does not matter) set the multimeter to AC volts, at an idle the multimeter should read 16 to 20 volts AC. at 2,000 RPM 32 to 40 AC volts, 3,000 RPM 48 to 60 AC volts. If you are not getting these numbers, you may have a faulty alternator rotor.
6. Set the multimeter to OHM'S, connect one lead to the alternator (any pin/socket) and the other to a ground, the multimeter should read infinity. Connect both leads to the alternator multimeter should read 0.1 to 0.2 OHM'S. If you are not getting these numbers, you have a bad stator.
7. Check all wiring in the charging circuit for worn or chaffed spots and all wiring connectors in the circuit for corroded, broken, or loose pins/sockets, which is the # 1 offender.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the links below. Good luck and have a nice day.
1986 YX600 Radian runs for while then dies BAR Bay Area Riders Forum
1989 FJ1200 Not holding building charge
Yamaha YX600 Service Manual
OEM parts for Yamaha
Posted on Nov 21, 2016
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
You can use a volt meter across the battery with bike running should charge at 13.5-16V range when you rev it. If there is only battery voltage check the 3 wires coming into the voltage regulator, they are from the alternator and switch to AC voltage scale , connect neg lead to ground, hot lead to any wire--should be around 35 VAC. If not you have fried the stator, probably due to shorted wire somewhere it is not fused, check wire to starter solenoid , wires from alternator where they go through the case , on chain bikes usually where chain has rubbed through.
Posted on Oct 08, 2009
SOURCE: will be riding for about
Have the battery load tested, a fully charged battery is about 14.2 volts, and then have the Alternator output tested, it sound like the battery is not being charged, it should have about 14.0 volts at 1500RPM, if not then the Alternator is defective. If nothing shows you will need the bikes electronic engine control system tested by the dealer for system fault codes.
Posted on May 22, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 30, 2017 | 1987 Yamaha YX 600 Radian
Sep 20, 2014 | 1994 Honda CBR 600 F(2)R
Nov 28, 2017 | 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 600
Apr 02, 2012 | 2000 Suzuki GSX-R 600
May 11, 2011 | 1988 Yamaha YX 600 Radian
Aug 15, 2010 | 1987 Yamaha YX 600 Radian
Aug 07, 2010 | 1989 Yamaha YX 600 Radian
Feb 18, 2010 | 1990 Yamaha FZR 600
Jan 26, 2010 | 1999 Honda GL 1500 SE Gold Wing
Oct 08, 2009 | 1987 Yamaha YX 600 Radian
85 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: