Question about 1988 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
This is a fuel injected bike and i have to pump the gas to start and when it finally starts you cant touch the gas untill warmed up then its fine and it starts fine when its warmed up
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous and the usual suspects are:
1. Spark plugs in bad condition or have an improper gap or are partially fouled.
2. Spark plug cables in bad condition.
3. Battery damaged or nearly discharged, should have 12.5 volts.
4. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
5. Throttle controls not adjusted correctly.
6. Water or dirt in the fuel system.
7. Water or dirt in the carburetor.
8. Intake air leak.
9. Fuel tank vent hose and vapor valve plugged, or fuel line closed off, restricting fuel flow.
10. Choke valve inoperative.
11. Engine lubricant to heavy (winter operation).
12. Ignition is not functioning properly (possible sensor failure).
13. Faulty ignition coil.
14. Valves sticking.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
1500 hard to start when the engine is cold GL1500 Information Questions...
GL1500 Cold Hard Start Issue
Honda GL1500 Service Manual
Honda GOLDWING GL1500 Owner Manual
Posted on Aug 07, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Well, this is a water cooled bike. Few things can cause this:
1.) Low water in radiator.
2.)Dirty blocked clogged radiator fin openings, or clogged inner radiator with rust and sludge.
3.) Electric coolong fan not working- could be temp sensor, fan relay or fan motor itself.
4.) Worn radiator pressure cap.
Posted on May 27, 2009
Firstly the 85 ltd doesnt have carbs its electronic fuel injection.
Could be the throttle postition sensor, vaccum lines running to the efi, or the banks need to be balanced. Simplest thing to check first is that your throttle cable is acutally pulling the throttle body wide open. Decarbonizeing the throttle body may help also. and I run can of sea foam thru my ltd about once every two months to keep injectors etc clean.
Posted on Feb 08, 2010
The bike may be discharging the battery. you need to test stator output,voltage regulator,and the fuses. Does the battery need to be recharged to restart?
Posted on Mar 22, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 15, 2015 | 1988 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
May 26, 2014 | 1990 Honda GL 1500 SE Gold Wing
Oct 29, 2013 | 1996 Honda GL 1500 SE Gold Wing
Apr 30, 2013 | 1996 Honda GL 1500 SE Gold Wing
Apr 25, 2012 | 1997 Honda GL 1500 SE Gold Wing
Nov 05, 2011 | 1988 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
May 08, 2011 | 1988 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
Oct 21, 2010 | 1992 Honda GL 1500 Aspencade Gold Wing
Dec 05, 2009 | 1988 Honda GL 1500 Gold Wing
Jun 08, 2009 | 1996 Honda GL 1500 SE Gold Wing
27 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: