REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
Before performing any service on the front or rear TBI unit, you must place the unit in a suitable holding fixture such as J-9789-118, BT-30-15, or equivalent. If you dont place the unit in a suitable fixture, the throttle valve may be damaged.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the TBI unit from the vehicle, and place it in a suitable holding fixture.
- Remove the fuel meter cover, as follows:
- Remove the 5 fuel meter cover attaching screws and lockwashers.
Fig. Fig. 1: Exploded view of the fuel meter cover attachment
- Lift off the fuel meter cover with the fuel pressure regulator (rear unit) or accumulator (front unit), noting their positions for reassembly.
- Remove and discard the fuel outlet passage only. Leave the fuel meter cover gasket on the fuel meter body.
Do NOT remove the 4 screws securing the fuel pressure regulator or accumulator to the fuel meter cover. The regulator or accumulator includes a large spring under heavy compression which, if accidentally released, could cause personal injury. The fuel meter cover is serviced as a complete assembly only. On the rear unit, the fuel meter cover includes the fuel pressure regulator which was calibrated and plugged at the factory.
Fig. Fig. 2: Bottom view of the front and rear fuel meter covers
Do not immerse the fuel meter cover (with the pressure regulator or accumulator) in any type of cleaner. Immersion will damage the internal diaphragms and gaskets.
When removing the injector, be careful to avoid damaging the electrical terminals on top of the injector, injector fuel filter and nozzle. Do NOT use pliers to remove the injector, as this could cause damage. The injector cannot be disassembled and is serviced as a complete assembly only. As it is an electrical component, it should not be submerged in any type of cleaner.
- Remove the foam pressure regulator sealing ring (dust seal) from the rear throttle body.
- With the fuel meter cover gasket in place to protect the casting, use a suitable prytool and a fulcrum, as shown in the accompanying figure, to carefully lift the injector until to is free from the fuel meter body.
Fig. Fig. 3: Carefully pry the fuel injector out of the fuel meter body
- Remove the injector. If removing both injectors, make sure to mark them front and rear, so they can be reinstalled in the proper position. The injectors are NOT interchangeable and cannot be switched during installation.
- Carefully rotate the injector fuel filter back and forth, then remove the filter from the base of the injector.
- Remove and discard the fuel meter cover gasket.
- Remove the large O-ring and steel back-up washer in the top counterbore of the fuel meter body injector cavity. Remove the small O-ring located at the bottom of the injector cavity.