Question about Yamaha V Star Classic 650 Motorcycles
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous it should be noted that the reasons your check engine light constant or flashing, will or will not start, turns over or not conditions varies from the year, make, and model and you should always refer to your owners/service manual for proper diagnostic procedures. It should also be noted that any type of prior work or event IE: adding accessories, electrical curiosity/adventures, laying bike down/crashes, rainstorms/bike washings just before EFI light issues started can be significant hints/aids into tracking down the gremlin, also carry the appropriate jumper wire to access fault codes to reduce the risk of being stranded or towed, that being said the usual suspects are:
1. Faulty Fuel Pump, fuse or system relay switch.
2. Battery starting to fail due to old age/damage, perform a load test.
3. Discharged battery, check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
4. Faulty switches/sensors: run/off, ignition, clutch lever, neutral, side stand, tip over, fuel, and or their connections.
5. Broken wire or worn insulation exposing wire to a ground situation especially inside wire harness at tight bends around fairing brackets, under dash panels, under fuel tanks over cylinder heads etc. Many harnesses are open on the ends that will allow water to enter and accumulate at v-bends.
6. Check for generated fault codes.
Dielectric grease and contact cleaner are your best friends for wire/cable/harness connectors, look for corroded, broken, or loose pins/sockets.
For more information about your issue please visit the websites below. Good luck and have a nice day.
Steps to Take When Your Motorcycle Won Start Dennis Kirk Powersports Blog
Troubleshooting bike that will crank but won start
Yamaha XVS650 Service Manual
OEM parts for Yamaha
YAMAHA XVS650 Owner Manual
Posted on Nov 23, 2016
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Hi and welcome to FixYa,
Initially, determine if there is a clicking sound when the START button is pressed. The click is significant. If there is, this indicates that the starting relay is engaging but for some reason, the starter motor is not cranking. This could either indicate a faulty starter relay (particularly the contacts) or a faulty starter motor (specifically, the carbon brushes). To determine which:
Good luck and thank you for using FixYa.
Posted on Feb 22, 2009
SOURCE: wiring diagram for bike
You can go to your local dealer and they usally will copy it out of ther service manuel for you.When you say passing lights do you mean highway lights?
Posted on Mar 29, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 16, 2014 | Yamaha V Star Classic Motorcycles
Oct 18, 2013 | 2003 Yamaha V Star Classic
Sep 28, 2013 | 2004 Yamaha V Star Classic
Apr 06, 2012 | 1999 Yamaha V Star Custom
Aug 25, 2009 | 2001 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
Apr 14, 2009 | 2001 Yamaha V Star Classic
Apr 06, 2009 | 2003 Yamaha V Star Classic
Apr 04, 2009 | 1999 Yamaha V Star Custom
Mar 06, 2009 | 2004 Yamaha V Star Classic
25 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: