Question about 1999 Yamaha V Star Classic
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous if your bike has been sitting idle for months or years and you did not do any pre-storage maintenance I feel your pain it will probably have a dead battery and not want to start or if it starts it will idle and run poorly, here are the following steps necessary to complete in order to get your bike back to an acceptable running condition.
1. If your battery was 2-3 years old when you last had the bike running you should replace it.
2. If you believe your battery might still be serviceable remove it from the bike and put it on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger for 24 hours. If it is the old lead acid type with visible cells and acid levels fill each cell to the top line with distilled water and replace the caps, run the vent tube into a plastic or styrofoam cup, any cells that are cloudy/milky replace the battery.
3. After charging remove the leads and let the battery sit for a couple of hours then check the battery voltage with a volt meter, you should have 12.5 volts or better, any readings in the 11 volt range you need to do a proper load test on the battery and replace as necessary, any readings in the 10 volt range you have a dead cell and replace the battery.
4. Drain and flush fuel tank, google " how to clean a motorcycle gas tank" find a couple forums to view the different options available.
5. Remove your air cleaner and clean and re-oil per Mfg. specifications.
6. Remove the carburetor, disassemble and decontaminate with a carb dip or if you have EFI remove injectors and clean with carb spray and compressed air
7. Remove fuel valve and filter disassemble and clean as necessary, remove fuel lines and replace with new ones.
8. Replace spark plug with a new one and check for spark.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the links below. Good luck and have a nice day.
01 Yamaha star 650 loss of power and backfiring Fixxit
Help My Star 650 Wont Start
98 00 Yamaha XV650 Star Service Manual XVS650 Moto Data Project
OEM parts for Yamaha
Posted on Jun 01, 2016
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
could be one of the ignition coils breaking down when hot, if you can (without getting burnt), remove the plug cap, place a screw driver in there holding the insulated handle and turn the engine over whilst holding it close to the engine, you should see a spark IF its ok, if not then the coil has failed. Retry when cold to confirm.
Posted on Jun 23, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 10, 2014 | Homelite Pressure Washer. 2700 psi 2.3 GPM...
Nov 21, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Jul 08, 2011 | 2002 Suzuki LS 650 Savage
Nov 07, 2009 | Garden
Jun 23, 2009 | Troy Bilt Tb70ss Gas Trimmer
Apr 04, 2009 | Mtd 22" Yard Machine Push Mower
Mar 21, 2009 | THQ The Lawnmower Man
Mar 18, 2009 | 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier
14 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: