Question about 1998 Honda VT 750 C2 Shadow
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous the best way to charge a battery is slowly. I like to use this analogy, would you rather be awakened from a deep sleep with gentle nudging or a violent kick in the rear.
1. Remove battery and check for corroded or damaged terminals clean any dirt, corrosion or electrolyte that is on top of the battery as this will cause premature battery drain, inspect for cracks and swollen/expanded sides which are a sign of overheating and replacement should be seriously considered.
2. Acid plate type batteries should be checked with a hydrometer with recorded readings for each cell to be compared with after charging readings and for sulfation, the cell will appear milky, and incorrect acid level. Fill low levels with distilled water to upper level and remove acid from over filled cells with hydrometer until the level is at the upper mark and dispose of acid in the sink mixed with a quart/liter of water.
3. Connect a voltmeter set on the DC scale to the battery and record the reading for comparison after charging.
4. Attach a drain hose that is not pinched, kinked, or plugged to the nipple on acid plate type batteries and let the other end hang into a plastic or styrofoam cup.
5. Connect a 1-2 amp trickle charger that has automatic charge rate reduction if possible and let charge for 24 hours.
6. After charging recheck each cell with a hydrometer a 100% fully charged cell will have a specific gravity reading of 1.270-1.280 and 1.180-1.190 has only a 25% charge battery should be load tested and considered for replacement if necessary. Reconnect your voltmeter and
any readings in the 10-volt range means you have a dead cell and the battery needs to be replaced. Readings between any 2 cells of 50 points or more indicate the battery has failed and needs to be replaced.
7. No maintenance AGM or GEL batteries need to have a voltmeter reading of 12.8-13 volts for a full 100% charge and 12.2 volts is only a 25% charge and should be load tested and replaced if necessary.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
Removing charging honda shadow battery
Honda 1998 VT750C Service Manual
Honda VT750C Owner Manual
Posted on Jul 17, 2017
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
It is always a good idea to remove a battery from any machine when charging. If it is a lead acid type, Hydrogen gas is given off when charging, and all it takes is a spark(when working with the connections)... and then there is a fire/explosion... and this could go badly for you. I have seen this happen in a brand new car.
If you are prepared to risk it, the least, you need to do is fully disconnect the battery. However, I strongly recommend removing the battery for charging. That way you are working safe,and doing the charge devoid of risk. Happy to answer any questions you may have about this. Cheers
Posted on Apr 18, 2010
Testimonial: "very helpful"
The seat has a bolt located in the storage compartment of the backrest, remove this bolt will give you access to the hold down bolts located on the rear fender for the split seat model, if your seat is not split, just removing the 1 bolt located in the compartment will fix your problem...Good luck & ride hard!!!
Posted on Mar 15, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
May 21, 2014 | 1998 Honda VT 1100 C3 Shadow Aero
Dec 28, 2013 | 1988 Honda VT 800
Mar 03, 2013 | 2001 Honda Shadow 400
Feb 17, 2013 | 2008 Honda VT 750 Shadow
Jan 29, 2013 | 2008 Honda VT 750 Shadow
Jun 24, 2012 | 2009 Honda Shadow Aero
Oct 28, 2010 | 2005 Honda VT 750 Shadow Aero
Apr 18, 2010 | 2001 Honda VT 1100 C2 Shadow Sabre
Mar 28, 2010 | 2002 Honda VT 750 DC Shadow Spirit
24 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: