Question about 2002 Honda CB 500
Won't rev smoothly until 3,000 RPM
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead acid batteries.
2. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
3. Spark plugs in bad condition or partially fouled.
4. Spark plug cables in bad condition and leaking check for spark leakage in the dark
5. Spark plug gap too close or too wide.
6. Faulty ignition coil, module, and or sensor.
7. Loose, dirty, or corroded ignition module connector at crankcase.
8. Faulty CKP or CMP, MAP, ETS, ATS, TPS, O2 sensor.
9. Dirty air filter.
10. Intake air leak.
11. Water, dirt, or rust in the fuel system.
12. Carburetor contaminated, sticky float, plugged jets.
13. Carburetor vacuum diaphragm torn, cracked, not seated or installed improperly.
14. Multiple carburetors out of sync.
15. Fuel filter clogged.
16. Old or contaminated fuel.
17. Fuel tank vent system plugged or carb vent line closed off.
18. Gas cap diaphragm valve faulty.
19. Vacuum line from intake manifold to fuel valve is broken, cracked, pinched, or missing.
20. Carburetor controls misadjusted.
21. Incorrect valve timing.
22. Valve springs floating, weak, or broken.
23. Damaged intake or exhaust valve.
24. Incompatible performance parts.
25. Control module may be in "LIMP" mode
26. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need for viewing or printing please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
CB500 4 K1 backfiring misfiring at low rpm and dying out when warm
Honda CB500T Manual
Honda CB500X Service Manual
Posted on Aug 14, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
either your fuel filter is clogged up or you catalytic converter is clogged . change your filter first it is cheaper and prolly needs one most don't change them.you can also test the cat with a gauge that replaces the o2 sensor that any local muffler shop can test for ya.
Posted on Jul 16, 2010
In park it will do this. PCM has the limiter in it. While driving, it is the fuel filter that is clogged.
Posted on Dec 26, 2015
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 01, 2016 | Garden
Nov 07, 2015 | Saturn 2003 VUE 4 CYL
Oct 20, 2013 | 1992 Ford Explorer
Apr 17, 2013 | 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe
Oct 08, 2012 | 1992 Pontiac Bonneville
Mar 12, 2010 | Hyundai Motor 2003 Elantra
26 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: