Question about Yamaha Motorcycles
When I turn on the ignition switch the engine light flashes and the engine starts but the engine light does not go it stays on. I changed the oil but still the light stays on
Posted by Anonymous on
Hi, Anonymous it should be noted that the reasons your check engine light constant or flashing, will or will not start, turns over or not conditions varies from the year, make, and model and you should always refer to your owners/service manual for proper diagnostic procedures. It should also be noted that any type of prior work or event IE: adding accessories, electrical curiosity/adventures, laying bike down/crashes, rainstorms/bike washings just before EFI light issues started can be significant hints/aids into tracking down the gremlin, also carry the appropriate jumper wire to access fault codes to reduce the risk of being stranded or towed, that being said the usual suspects are:
1. Faulty Fuel Pump, fuse or system relay switch.
2. Battery starting to fail due to old age/damage, perform a load test.
3. Discharged battery, check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
4. Faulty switches/sensors: run/off, ignition, clutch lever, neutral, side stand, tip over, fuel, and or their connections.
5. Broken wire or worn insulation exposing wire to a ground situation especially inside wire harness at tight bends around fairing brackets, under dash panels, under fuel tanks over cylinder heads etc. Many harnesses are open on the ends that will allow water to enter and accumulate at v-bends.
6. Check for generated fault codes.
Dielectric grease and contact cleaner are your best friends for wire/cable/harness connectors, look for corroded, broken, or loose pins/sockets.
For more information about your issue please visit the websites below. Good luck and have a nice day.
Check engine light came on today 15 2k miles
Yamaha FZS FZ16 Service Manual pdf
Yamaha FZS FZ16 Parts Manual pdf
Yamaha FZ16 User Manual pdf
Posted on Dec 06, 2016
a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 23, 2014 | Yamaha Motorcycles
Jan 21, 2014 | 2011 Yamaha FZ16
Jul 16, 2013 | 2011 Yamaha FZ16
Sep 07, 2012 | 1989 Yamaha FZR 1000
Jun 13, 2011 | 1986 Yamaha FZ 600
Mar 09, 2011 | 1988 Yamaha FZ 600
Oct 04, 2010 | 1995 Yamaha FZR 600
Feb 14, 2010 | 1989 Yamaha FZX 750
Jan 18, 2010 | 1993 Yamaha FZR 600
14 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: