Question about 1998 Yamaha YZF-R1
Hi, Tracey and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery, should have 12.5 volts or better and be able to pass a load test if necessary.
2. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
3. Spark plugs in bad condition or partially fouled.
4. Spark plug cables in bad condition and leaking.
5. Spark plug gap too close or too wide.
6. Faulty ignition coil, module, and or sensor.
7. Loose, dirty, or corroded ignition module connector at crankcase.
8. Faulty CKP or CMP, MAP, ETS, ATS, TPS, O2 sensor.
9. Intake air leak.
10. Water, dirt, or rust in the fuel system, carburetor and/or filter.
11. Fuel tank vent system plugged or carburetor vent line closed off.
12. Vacuum line from intake manifold to fuel valve is broken, cracked, pinched, or missing.
13. Carburetor controls misadjusted.
14. Damaged carburetor.
15. Incorrect valve timing.
16. Weak or broken valve springs.
17. Damaged intake or exhaust valve.
18. Check for engine trouble codes
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the links below. Good luck and have nice a day.
OEM parts for Yamaha
1998 1999 Yamaha YZF R1 Service Manual R1 Moto Data Project
04 R1 2600 km Rough idle missing between 1000 2500 RPM
Btw, I’m available to help over the phone in case u need at https://www.6ya.com/expert/gregg_c0ec1df182c7330e
Posted on Aug 18, 2016
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 19, 2014 | Hyundai Cars & Trucks
Feb 04, 2013 | 2001 Mercury Sable
Apr 19, 2012 | 2001 Dodge Caravan
Feb 05, 2011 | Kohler Electrical Supplies
Jul 23, 2010 | 2005 Cadillac CTS
Jan 17, 2010 | 2003 Volkswagen Passat
Mar 27, 2009 | 2003 Nissan Sentra
19 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: