Question about 2001 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic
K...first when I use choke to start, it starts, runs for bout 20 seconds then dies, can't get started easily after that.. Can see gas around carb area. Checked spark plugs, they were black, changed em, cleaned air filter with gas...still same...please help... I love my bike and it's driving me nuts that I can't ride it..
Hi, Jami the following applies to carbureted also fuel injected models and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery, should have 12.5 volts or better and be able to pass a load test if necessary.
2. Failed alternator/generator and or voltage regulator.
3. Loose or corroded battery terminals and or cables especially the "NEGATIVE" cable, look for loose, corroded, or broken connectors inside the cable harness at "BOTH" ends.
4. Failed main circuit breaker or ignition switch, check for loose connections and continuity.
5. Failed system and or ignition relay, check for continuity.
6. Failed ignition coil, ignition/electronic module.
7. Failed CKP, CPS, CMP, MAP, TPS, or BAS sensor, corroded, loose or broken wire connector pins/sockets.
8. Throttle cables and or idle speed improperly adjusted hot idle speed should be 950 RPM to 1000 RPM.
9. Air/fuel mixture screw improperly adjusted.
10. Accelerator pump damaged or not working.
11. Water or dirt in the fuel system, carburetor or filter.
12. Restricted, blocked or kinked fuel line.
13. Fuel tank empty.
14. The gas cap is not venting properly or fuel tank venting system blocked.
15. A failed fuel pump, pressure regulator and or fuel injectors.
16. Vacuum line from intake manifold to petcock broken, cracked, or not attached, carburetor vent line plugged.
17. Needle and seat stuck closed in the float bowl.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you need please click on the links below. Good luck and have a nice day.
2007 Star 1100 won stay running AR15 COM
2007 Star 1100 won stay running Yamaha Forum Your Yamaha Motor Products...
OEM parts for Yamaha
Posted on May 29, 2016
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Trouble starting my 2003 TTR 225
how old is the gas it may have a lot of water or junk in it.drain the bowl on the carb and drain the fuel out of the tank, check the petcock screen inside the gas tank. also i would not spray start fluid into the plug hole, it could blow a hole in the top of your piston,spray a little right into your air cleaner or carb.good luck
Posted on Jan 13, 2009
have you changed the fuel filter? you are not getting enough gas, are jets squeaky clean? there is a good fuel system cleaner in the USA called Berrymans B12. put some in the tank warm up bike then let it stand overnight and see what happens. if still no luck repeat process. if you still have same problem then get new fuel filter
Posted on Apr 02, 2009
SOURCE: Yamaha 2002 TTr 250
Look around your bike near where the throttle cable meets the engine, when you pull the throttle, the cable pulls a quarter circle piece of metal which is connected to a spring, then connected to that should be a screw, that is the idle screw, turn it very slightly, usually clockwise to make the idle higher, and this should sort out the problem.
Please remember to rate this solution as FixYa!
Posted on Apr 12, 2009
Sounds a lot like fouled fuel jets in your carb; you may have a little work to do.
If the jets do not allow sufficient fuel to pass, using the choke can 'cheat' the carburetor by restricting the flow of air and restoring the fuel-air ratio. You can't ignore this problem since the 'cheated' condition does not let the engine develop the power for which it was designed.
Posted on Apr 26, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 23, 2015 | 1997 Buick Skylark
Jun 17, 2014 | Honda VT 750 DC Shadow Spirit Motorcycles
Sep 23, 2013 | Garden
Apr 21, 2010 | 2002 Honda VT 1100 C2 Shadow Sabre
Sep 29, 2009 | 2001 Yamaha V Star Classic
Jun 14, 2009 | McCulloch Garden
Jun 03, 2009 | 2001 Yamaha Xv 250 Virago S
May 02, 2009 | Poulan Pro Chain Saw 46cc 20"
152 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: