Question about 2004 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar
Hi I have an xvs650 which runs ok until i try to accelorate/increase speed or put the engine under any type of load, I replaced both coils with cured the problem fo about 200 miles before returning. The coils were second hand but cured the running after fitting, now i'm back to square one!!!!!!!! any ideas what the misfire under any sort of load can be?
Hi, Cruisemas547 and the usual suspects are:
1. Severely discharged or a damaged battery should have 12.5 volts or more and be able to pass a proper "LOAD" test if necessary, you may have a cursory reading of 12.5 volts or more but little or zero amperage the battery is faulty and must be replaced, AGM batteries fail in this scenario more so than lead acid batteries.
2. Check battery terminals for damage or corrosion, check the battery cables at "BOTH" ends for loose, corroded, or broken connectors, "INSIDE" and outside the cable harness, perform connector wiggle test and check cables with an ohmmeter if necessary.
3. Spark plugs in bad condition or partially fouled.
4. Spark plug cables in bad condition and leaking check for spark leakage in the dark
5. Spark plug gap too close or too wide.
6. Faulty ignition coil, module, and or sensor.
7. Loose, dirty, or corroded ignition module connector at crankcase.
8. Faulty CKP or CMP, MAP, ETS, ATS, TPS, O2 sensor.
9. Dirty air filter.
10. Intake air leak.
11. Water, dirt, or rust in the fuel system.
12. Carburetor contaminated, sticky float, plugged jets.
13. Carburetor vacuum diaphragm torn, cracked, not seated or installed improperly.
14. Multiple carburetors out of sync.
15. Fuel filter clogged.
16. Old or contaminated fuel.
17. Fuel tank vent system plugged or carb vent line closed off.
18. Gas cap diaphragm valve faulty.
19. Vacuum line from intake manifold to fuel valve is broken, cracked, pinched, or missing.
20. Carburetor controls misadjusted.
21. Incorrect valve timing.
22. Valve springs floating, weak, or broken.
23. Damaged intake or exhaust valve.
24. Incompatible performance parts.
25. Control module may be in "LIMP" mode
26. Check for engine trouble codes.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the blue links below. Good luck and have a wonderful day.
01 Yamaha star 650 loss of power and backfiring Fixxit
Yamaha XVS650 Service Manual
OEM parts for Yamaha
YAMAHA XVS650 Owner Manual
Posted on Jun 12, 2017
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
on right crankcase by brake pedal you will find a round cover with 3 bolts in it, remove this and you will find some more bolts to remove the second casing that holds the oil filter, be careful not to over tighten the bolts when putting back, i did and stripped the thread, complete change takes about 15 mins
Posted on Mar 22, 2009
That engine uses automatic cam chain adjusters. There is no manual over-ride or adjustment. If the cam chain is loose, you need to replace the adjuster at the least and possibly the cam chain and guides.
Posted on Nov 06, 2009
Testimonial: "What can I say...A very helpful reply , cheers"
First I would change all the spark plugs, and if that didn't make a difference then it sounds like the coil(s) are warming up and breaking down........when it starts to skip take a good pair of pliers with good rubber on them and pull each spark plug wire, when you get to the one that the running doesn't change then I would replace that particular coil
Posted on Feb 17, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 21, 2014 | 2002 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar Classic
Feb 08, 2014 | 2002 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar
Jul 08, 2013 | 1997 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar
May 05, 2013 | 2007 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar Classic
Nov 16, 2012 | 2000 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar Classic
Oct 12, 2012 | 1998 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar
May 07, 2011 | 2001 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar Classic
Apr 27, 2011 | 1997 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar
Feb 16, 2010 | 2004 Yamaha XVS 650 Dragstar
Apr 13, 2009 | 2001 Yamaha Drag Star Classic Four
Aug 19, 2017 | Motorcycles
Aug 19, 2017 | Motorcycles
134 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: