Question about 2000 Yamaha XJ 900 S Diversion
Bike has been sitting for a while has started before but now when starting it smells like fuel won't even bump start
Hi, Jock if your bike has been sitting idle for months or years and you did not do any pre-storage maintenance I feel your pain it will probably have a dead battery and not want to start or if it starts it will idle and run poorly then stall, here are the following steps necessary to complete in order to get your bike back to an acceptable running condition.
1. If your battery was 2-3 years old when you last had the bike running you should replace it.
2. If you believe your battery might still be serviceable remove it from the bike and put it on a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger for 24 hours. If it is the old lead acid type with visible cells and acid levels fill each cell to the top line with distilled water and replace the caps, run the vent tube into a plastic or styrofoam cup, any cells that are cloudy/milky replace the battery.
3. After charging remove the leads and let the battery sit for a couple of hours then check the battery voltage with a volt meter, you should have 12.5 volts or better, any readings in the 11 volt range you need to do a proper load test on the battery and replace as necessary, any readings in the 10 volt range you have a dead cell and the battery needs to be replaced.
4. Drain and flush fuel tank, google " how to clean a motorcycle gas tank" find a couple forums to view the different options available.
5. Remove and inspect your air cleaner paper elements that are not oil soaked can be cleaned with a soft brush and low pressure compressed air, oil soaked elements must be replaced. Gause mesh and foam elements can be cleaned by soaking them in a container big enough to completely cover them with a solution of 1 gallon of water and 1 oz. of Dawn dishwashing liquid for small and medium size elements, for monster size double the formula and let soak for at least one hour then rinse with warm water shake off excess and let air dry, "WARNING" do not use compressed air as this will embed micro-sized dirt and road grime and destroy the mesh pattern and stretch foam elements out of shape just squeeze it like a sponge and let air dry, use a fan if you're in a hurry. When completely dry spray a very fine mist of air filter oil evenly around the whole element.
6. Remove the carburetors, disassemble and decontaminate with a carb dip or if you have EFI remove injectors and clean with carb spray and compressed air
7. Remove fuel valve and filter disassemble and clean as necessary, remove, clean, and inspect fuel and vacuum lines and replace as necessary.
8. Replace spark plugs with new ones and check for spark.
For more information about your issue and valuable "FREE" downloads that you will need please click on the links below. Good luck and have a nice day.
Yamaha Diversion won start
cranks but won start FZ1OA Message Board
Yamaha 95 XJ900S Service Manual
OEM parts for Yamaha
Yamaha Diversion 900 Owner Manual
Posted on Dec 13, 2016
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: 95 xv750 Virago fuel leak
Probabilly a stuk carburettor float or needle.
Try to solve this problem to gently tap on the carburettor bodies. If this doesn't help you have to clean out the carburettors, and/or replace the float neeldes
Posted on Apr 02, 2009
SOURCE: not sure why my bike wont start
How long did the bike set un-used? After years, gasoline turns into varnish after evaporation of the aromatic hydrocarbons. I've actually seen a substance like molasses in all the carbs and the gas tank. Take a bowl off of a carb and see what you find. If it has gone to varnish, you will need to disassemble every component that gasoline touches as a liquid and re-build and clean out the gunk. (yes, gas tank too and the diverter valve) This is a common problem.
Posted on May 20, 2009
SOURCE: bike in neutral will not start
could be kickstand switch or neutral switch. also check kill switch. starter relay should be under seat by main electrical harness with rest of bike relays.
Posted on May 26, 2009
The old battery must have shorted out internally. That is why it went dead out of the blue.
Here are my thoughts, in random order, on other possibilities >
Posted on Jun 12, 2009
I'm having the same issue with my 82 xs 400. Mine hasn't been sitting at all though. I rode it home two weeks ago. I put different bars on it, took off the mufflers and that's really about it. It starts and idles fine. If I put it on the stand and put it in gear, it will go through the gears with the wheel in the air spinning freely. Once I sit on it and put it in gear to go, it shuts off. I don't get it.
Posted on Sep 16, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 17, 2012 | 2001 Ford Expedition
Sep 02, 2012 | 2003 Jeep Liberty
May 06, 2012 | Honda CB 750 Motorcycles
Apr 14, 2012 | Garden
Jul 24, 2011 | 1989 Oldsmobile Delta 88
Apr 10, 2011 | 2005 Yamaha Road Star Silverado
Feb 19, 2011 | 1998 Yamaha YZF-R1
Apr 24, 2010 | 1986 Suzuki GSX-R 750 G
Aug 26, 2009 | 2005 Honda VTX 1300 R
Nov 23, 2017 | Motorcycles
Nov 23, 2017 | Motorcycles
Nov 23, 2017 | Motorcycles
30 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: